Nanoni

Hatching
May 23, 2022
I’ve got a Gambel’s quail here, maybe 2 days old. It was in my yard brought by a local outdoor cat so I’ve got no idea where it came from and we haven’t seen any quail wandering around our neighborhood at all these past few months.

I went to a nearby nature center (it’s like 5 minutes away by car) and I found 3 quail, a couple and a single, not sure if they have nestlings or fledgelings.

Baby is doing well I’ve got a heat lamp set to 95 degrees with a cool side of the box as an option, drinking and eating.

I want to know if I can release baby to these quails I saw today, or if it’s gonna die no matter what because it’s not it’s parents. I called two rehab people from different organizations and both of them have told me that the lil baby’s best chance is to find other quail and release them and watch from a distance, but I read from online that that could just get them killed.

Edit: also no one will take this bird, I live in an area where there’s one 40 mins away who can’t take it, and one for the general region who can’t take it either, because it’s alone and will die from sadness and loneliness and won’t do well in captivity I’ve learned.

Last edited:
:welcome Since no rehab facility will take it, I would provide it with a mirror for company, keep it isolated from human contact, and release it when it is larger/more mature.
I’ve got a mirror in there and it’s received it well. I had quail sounds playing but it went looking for them instead desperately and it broke my heart so I changed it to outside wind tree blowing sounds.

How much more mature do you think is safe to release it?

How old/ big is the baby? Maybe post a picture if you can. If it's big enough and it hasn't been too long, it might be able to find its family again, bc they probably come through everyday. But if it's little, I agree it would be better to let it get bigger somewhere safe before releasing.

How old/ big is the baby? Maybe post a picture if you can. If it's big enough and it hasn't been too long, it might be able to find its family again, bc they probably come through everyday. But if it's little, I agree it would be better to let it get bigger somewhere safe before releasing.
I think it’s like 2 days old but that’s comparing it with pics online and no prior knowledge of birds and how they age

Attachments

• B147F46D-5351-40A6-97B5-B54E55AFAD74.jpeg
    B147F46D-5351-40A6-97B5-B54E55AFAD74.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 30
  • 7F253F1F-84C4-4D05-9A03-522F2900F8E3.jpeg
    7F253F1F-84C4-4D05-9A03-522F2900F8E3.jpeg
    647.7 KB · Views: 30
Aww. It's so cute!! :love Looks very young... I agree about 2 days old. If you are able to keep it while it gets bigger it'll have a better chance to survive. I don't think it'll be able to find its family again at that age.

Aww. It's so cute!! :love Looks very young... I agree about 2 days old. If you are able to keep it while it gets bigger it'll have a better chance to survive. I don't think it'll be able to find its family again at that age.
Okay… thank you so much for the advice. I was going to release it tomorrow but I got worried about knowing if the nature center quails would accept it.. Guess I’m stuck with this sweet little guy for a little longer!

At that age it will die, if you release it. The other quail will not accept it.
Get it a complete and balanced feed ration of 24% protein. It will need to be crushed up fine for about a week. Make sure it has a 'drown proof' waterer.
Temperature in one end of the brooder should be 90 to 95°F for the 1st week, and then reduced 5°F per week until the ambient temperature is 70°F or it is fully feathered out.
About the only chance it has of surviving, is if you wait until fall to release it at the nature center. Right now, the adults are paired up and raising their brood. In the fall they will congregate in larger coveys, and will be more likely to be accepted by the covey.

At that age it will die, if you release it. The other quail will not accept it.
Get it a complete and balanced feed ration of 24% protein. It will need to be crushed up fine for about a week. Make sure it has a 'drown proof' waterer.
Temperature in one end of the brooder should be 90 to 95°F for the 1st week, and then reduced 5°F per week until the ambient temperature is 70°F or it is fully feathered out.
About the only chance it has of surviving, is if you wait until fall to release it at the nature center. Right now, the adults are paired up and raising their brood. In the fall they will congregate in larger coveys, and will be more likely to be accepted by the covey.
Thank you so much for the info. About the only thing I’ve found out online is the 95 degrees and *sometimes* the “drown proof” waterer.

Back
Top Bottom