How to relocate a hen and her eggs to a new nest?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
One of my best hens has been laying eggs in a nest outside the coop. She has been broody on them of 3 days now. I just found her nest and luckily no predators did, especially during the nights.
So I moved her and her eggs, with a fight, to a nest box in the coop. I blocked her in as she put up such a fight, wanting to leave and get back to her original nest Im quite sure. She doesnt understand that these are her eggs. When I went to check on her after about an hour, planning to remove the barrier, she was NOT sitting and had scattered the eggs all around the periphery of the nest box. She was in total darkness so I put a screen in place of the barrier so now she has light. Im sure she is scared to death.
Does ANYONE have ANY advice. I need help in making this work for her. At this point the eggs may have been cool too long and might not hatch anyway but I want her to settle down. What can I do? Any thoughts?

You should always move a broody at night. You may be able to fix this. Now that you have already moved her, I would put the eggs back where she was when you first found her. If she takes back her eggs, try to move her again that night. If you have a wooden nest box to use that would make moving her easier. The eggs should be fine. Lots of time hens stay off eggs for an extended period of time. Let us know how things go.
big_smile.png

The broody recognice the place where her nest is, not the eggs. Do this. Move her during the nigth to the new place, and put a wooden box over her. It has to be dark inside the place. Let her that way, over nigth and the next day. That afternoon you remove the box. In my case , I do this with all my hens. If she insists, do it again , but in my experience they always stay still in her new nest.

Thanks for your advice everyone. A strange thing happened. I was going to let her out to see that her original nest spot had no eggs but when I went to check on her she was settled down and on the eggs. Her main Roo had gone into the coop and stood next to the nest box and did the warning call with her. After she stopped, he came out. That, evidently, was when she settle down. Now I know about moving at night. I was going to wait until this evening but since this was my first time doing such a thing I wanted to have plenty of time in case anything went wrong....and boy did it. Luckily, all appears fine at this point.
Thanks again for all your comments and sharing your knowledge.

Quote:
You know, I always suspected hatching conditions were not that strict and yet folks using electric brooders for hatching worry all the time about changes in humidity and temp. My grandpa used to hatch eggs by hanging a light bulb over the clutch of eggs so I figured, gee hatching eggs cant need that strict of conditions!

My grandpa used to hatch eggs by hanging a light bulb over the clutch of eggs so I figured, gee hatching eggs cant need that strict of conditions!

I might even be able to handle that if it is that easy!
big_smile.png

I had a hen set on the wrong eggs for a whole day. All turned out well. Don't forget to take pics of the new babies. Were all waiting.
big_smile.png

Well unfortunately when I went out to check on her about an hour and half later she had escaped lock-down. I put the eggs back in her original nest but Im afraid she had already checked and found the nest empty. I hope she tried again before night fall. If she does and is on the original nest, Ill move her this evening.
Bummer.....I should have gotten advice before doing anything!! I know better. Im so mad at myself.

OK, so I did it wrong last time and she rejected her eggs. She has once again made a nest outside the coop and pen. She is just starting to lay. Does anyone have any ideas how I can successfully relocate her laying of her eggs inside the coop area? Should I just leave her be for now and relocate her once she starts sitting, only do it at night? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom