How to remain illegal quietly. Looking for stories.

If your neighbors are OK with your backyard chickens, you could probably keep them under the radar of the "zoning police" without any problems. There were a number of folks in Madison, WI who did just that. They were part of the Chicken Underground and kept poultry illegally within the city limits for years.

But it took just one perturbed neighbor to make a call, and the chicken poop hit the fan.

The chicken owners then came together, wrote their petitions, raised awareness, managed to get a city council member on their side, and a year later, backyard chickens were officially legal in Madison.

It takes some work to change outdated zoning laws, but people are now challenging municipalities all across the US and Canada. The momentum is with pro-chicken people.

Now is the best time to get your laws changed. There's lots of other people out there who have done just that. Start Googling and you'll find them. Some of the more recent cities being Ann Arbor, Fort Collins, and Vancouver, BC.

Other cities that are currently being challenged include Toronto, Halifax, Iowa City, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Cleveland, Castlegar, and Mankato to name just a few.

I've already been caught once by the chicken police and a judge signed a letter giving my 12 layers 15 days to get out of town. Now i'm back at it. For sure, no roos, just 10 bo's hens. I have mine in a licensed fishouse in back of the house hidden by the garage and another shed. They do have a small hidden run too. They are warned everyday to keep quiet. So far so good... Woody

Quote:
Tarazod, I am glad you have madcitychickens in your tagline!!!! So that is you? And I've been promoting for free?

Last edited:
Wow, that is really intresting! I dont have to keep mine illegally. We called the people in charge and they called people in more charge and so on and called US back and they said we have 100% rights to have hens, roosters, ANYTHING! We live in the township and also have rabbits and a few houses down is sheep farms, llama/alpaca farms, horses. The people who complain are just dumb
lol.png

we had people build houses right next to our sportsman club then complain about the shooting tournaments every Sunday. You build next to a gun club, you're gonna hear the shooting.

I don't know how many complaints we got but finally the cops quit responding.

I have 6 hens illegally with 1 complaint to the cops because "The chickens were giving him rats".
barnie.gif
I confronted him and haven't had a problem since! Don't contact the city until you get a complaint.
wink.png

Check out the yahoo group Salemchickens. They have a lot of great info there and have done an amazing job fighting to change the city ordinance, and other towns have modeled thier campains after them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. Yes we are the filmmakers.
smile.png

We enjoy helping others get their chicken laws changed. The return of the backyard chicken...it's an idea whose time has come...again.

This is all very interesting to me. I live in a rural area and people are allowed to keep whatever they want (as long as it is domesticated). I was wondering though, how do I go about finding out if I can keep "wild" turkeys? I saw some in the Welp hatchery book and I think I'd like to try some. Does anyone know? I live in NW Alabama, Hamilton area. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom