how to remove a screw form rooster's throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by panner123, May 19, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As I was about to take the roo out of his misery, my wife say "let me try something." Being she is a nurse I gave in. She liiked at the x-ray she had and got two magnets and placed them on each side of the neck. She worked them up toward the beak.
    she felt around and said it was moving. So she worked them again and again, until she could see the screw. She them took a pair of twezers and pulled it out. the vet told her it couldn't be done, so today she mailed the vet the screw. I hope he will refund some of his bill. But he still can't crow, but he is now eating and drinking.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Kudo's to the wife from one nurse to another. She should have been a vet.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    WOW! [​IMG]

Great job!!!

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    That's cool. I would have never thought of that![​IMG]

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your roo. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Nurses rock!

Em
    (who is a nurse, too [​IMG] )

6. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    amazing! Wonder if the Roo thought the screw was a worm? Why in the world would he eat that?

7. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    So... your rooster had a screw loose?! Or is it your wife?![​IMG]
    Well done!

(I'm a nurse too...maybe we should take a poll of how many of us are nurses).

8. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Right on! Good job. You should get a refund.

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Congrats! Good save now we will know what to do if one of our chickens gets the crazy idea to eat a screw.

10. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:After asking around and checking different college web sites, I found it is not uncommon for free range chickens to get things struck in their throat. It may be a large rock, nail, staple or SCREW. This one just happen to be in the wrong place at the right time. I know if it happens again, that chicken will be fried, before another $176 vet bill is paid. First, we will try the magnets then fry him. What was paid for his vet bill, I could have bought about 15 bags of feed, if you add in the gas to get to the vet. I think the vet knew he had one, when she was willing to spend that money on a chicken. Good thing I wasn't there. I would have called 911, to report a robbery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by