How to remove a spiral leg band?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
Looking for advice on how to remove a spiral leg band from a young (3-day old) chick.

Just added her to a brooder of 7-day old chicks and everyone is getting along great - except her siblings seem to object to her bling. It looks like removing it might be a two person operation? I have never used leg bands before, so would really like your thoughts on how to remove it. Thanks!

I always cut them off with scissors or nail clippers.... takes two people, though... one for the chicken and one to hold the leg with one hand and cut with the other.

Yes, it's plastic.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Guess I'll have to wait for another pair of hands. The chicks are in power-nap mode at the moment,
th.gif
so no rush.
smile.png

Try toenail clippers. With a chick you probably can hold it in one hand and use the clippers in the other. Good luck. They are zippy little things, aren't they?
smile.png

Sure are. Thier day goes something like this...run around in circles (and sometimes into each other), eat, eat, eat, drink, drink, drink, poop, and NAP. Begin again, run around in circles...
You gotta' love 'em!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom