How to Remove Metal Anti-pick Bits from Adult Bobwhites

Quote:
THERE ARE SOME BREEDERS THAT AUTOMATICALLY PLACE THEM IN YOUNG BIRDS WHEN BROODING AS A PREVENTATIVE... PERSONALLY I DONT, BUT EACH HAS THEIR OWN WAYS OF DOING THINGS
idunno.gif

I also wait ,if no problem ,no reason to place them in.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I hadn't occurred to me that they could be used on just the problem peckers; that's a good idea. My birds arrived yesterday, and I discovered two of them have bits, and one doesn't. They are in the house for now, so I can watch for any illness or aggression. So far, there has been little pecking, and they are more calm than I was expecting from reading the forum. They do the "popcorn" thing, of course, when I open the pen, but otherwise will let me get quite close before panicking. Hopefully, the aggression is calmed somewhat because there are just three of them, and the pen is 3' x 2' x 6'. It also helps that it's all cocks, so no mating/territory aggression yet. BTW, do they remain in "covey mode" if no hens are present, or will seasonal changes occur regardless of females?

My ignorance is showing, but one of my concerns about the bits is an increased chance of infection, particularly in the nares, but also the mouth. Does that happen, and if so, what should I look for? And also, do the bits limit the size of food they can ingest? I have crumbles right now, which seems to be okay so far, but do the bits ever interfere with their eating? Anyway, thanks for all the great input, and I will just leave them as they are, until I get a feel for their "normal" (assuming what I'm seeing now is abnormal, perhaps because of all the sudden changes?) behavior and aggression levels. Then I can decide on a case-by-case basis, especially after females enter the equation.

Again, thanks to all, and do have a lovely day!

AdL

THE BITS DO NOT INTERFERE WITH FEEDING... REALLY ALL THEY ARE IS FANCY LIL METAL BAR THAT PREVENTS THEM FROM CLOSING THEIR BEAK AND CLAMPING DOWN 100%-- NOTHING MORE. THIS PREVENTS THEM FROM BEING ABLE TO LATCH ONTO SOMETHING AND HANG ON... THUS STOPS SOME INJURIES FROM AGRESSIVE MATERS OR PECKERS. THEY DO NOT PENETRATE THE BIRD IN ANYWAY... THEIR NOSES ARE NOT PIERCED.. THE BIT ITSELF IS A C SHAPED METAL BAR THAT WHEN APPLIED IS PLACED ON THE BIRD AND THE CIRCUMFERENCE IS SQUEEZED TO A SMALLER SIZE... THE ENDS REST INSIDE THE NOSTRILS BUT DO NOT PUNCTURE ANYTHING... ITS SIMPLY THAT THEY ARE CLAMPED DOWN TO A SMALLER SIZE AFTER BEING APPLIED THAT HOLDS THEM ON... KINNA LIKE THE OLD FASHIONED CLIP ON EARRINGS LADIES WORE WAY BACK WHEN???

HERE'S A PICTURE SHOWING THE BITS BEFORE INSTALLATION... MAYBE THAT WILL HELP EXPLAIN IT BETTER (PIC BORROWED FROM CUTLER'S SUPPLY ONLINE CATALOG)

BITS.jpg

TO APPLY YOU TAKE THE PROPER SIZED BIT.. INSERT IN THE BIRDS BEAK AND ALIGN THE ENDS WITH THE BIRDS NOSTRILS AND APPLY PRESSURE TO THE WIDEST POINT ON THE BIT ITSELF TO BEND THEM IN FAR ENOUGH THAT THE ENDS STAY IN THE BIRDS NOSTRILS... THATS ALL THAT HOLDS THEM IN PLACE.
hu.gif

TO REMOVE SIMPLY TAKE WIRE CUTTERS AND CUT IT ANYWHERE ALONG THE OUTSIDE OF THE BIT AND IT SHOULD FALL OFF EASILY

THEY ALSO MAKE A PLASTIC VERSION FOR TEMPORARY USE WHICH NORMALLY AS THE PLASTIC AGES GETS BRITTLE AND BREAKS ON ITS OWN AND FALL OFF

AND WHILE THEY CALLED "BITS" DONT BE FOOLED... YOU CANNOT TIE LIL STRINGS TO EITHER SIDE AND BE ABLE TO REIN OR STEER THE LIL BOOGERZ... JUST DOESNT WORK
sad.png
hu.gif

Well dang...I was thinking I had a minature steed for a...cockroach??

Seriously, I appreciate you taking time to understand how it actually works. I was most concerned about places for gunk, and then bacteria to collect, or restriction of air through the nares, or food through the beak. I particularly do not want to risk more pulmonary issues than already exist. I guess I will have to put more thought and research into whether to keep them or not. Thanks again for all the information, and do have a lovely day!

AdL

Quote:
nice....you need the ones for Ostrich...

Hey! We could make a lot of money. Quick...patent it!
smile.png
AdL

Back
Top Bottom