how to remove spurs on old rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkrassin, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mkrassin

mkrassin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    I have an aged Orpington Roost and his spurs are very long. He also has a broken toe .
    Please give me some advise on how to remove those spurs mkrassin

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    Poor thing! I've never removed the spurs, we've always just put wire nuts on them if your trying to avoid getting hurt....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Bake a potato in the microwave. Wrap your roo snugly in a towel to keep him from flapping around. Use an oven glove to put the hot potato down to the base of the spur, the potato must not touch the leg, it'll burn him. Keep the hot potato on the spur for 1 minute then remove it. Use pliers to easily twist and pull off the spur. There will be a smaller spur present and maybe a little blood. You can put neosporin on the smaller spur and at its base. Do not remove the smaller spur. Repeat this procedure on the other spur using the same potato, it should still be hot enough. Then let the potato cool and give it to him to eat.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  5. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I never knew that the spurs grew that long! That's good to know. We have had our current rooster for almost a year, since day 1, and his are about an inch long. We've never kept a rooster over 2 years and I've never seen them that long!

6. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

It is very easy to twist spurs off with pliers, I've never had to use the potato, but I don't think it could hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by