How to remove the band from a chicken's foot?

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all.
Today, our sweetest hen sadly passed away. No warning that we could see. We assume she may had a problem with her reproductive track.

She was also our show bird, and had an orange metal band with her number that was around her foot. If I can find a picture of either her band or a similar band i will post it. We want to try and remove the band from her foot, to have something to remember her by, but we don't know how to take it off without either damaging the bird or without damaging the band. Any advice as to how we can take off her band would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all.
Today, our sweetest hen sadly passed away. No warning that we could see. We assume she may had a problem with her reproductive track.

She was also our show bird, and had an orange metal band with her number that was around her foot. If I can find a picture of either her band or a similar band i will post it. We want to try and remove the band from her foot, to have something to remember her by, but we don't know how to take it off without either damaging the bird or without damaging the band. Any advice as to how we can take off her band would be greatly appreciated.
The same happens to my hen Pebbles. I removed a couple wing feathers (I made sure I was careful it didn’t start her to bleed) plus the band. Her band was a blue one except it was a plastic zip-tie. I agree with Curly-Quail, try to widen it with pliers

Back
Top Bottom