How to repel Peacocks????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sega, Oct 27, 2014.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    My neighbor has a lot of Peacocks which seem to like our yard a lot better that his yard. They love to eat the flowers on our front porch. I am looking for something I can put around my house to help repel the Peacocks. Don't want to make a big deal about this with my neighbor/friend but the Peacocks make a mess around our house with their poo and eating every plant we have around the house.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The only thing I can think of is a conversation with your neighbors, and put up a fence.

1 person likes this.
  3. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Overrun With Chickens

Jan 5, 2012
    Good luck. A fence won't keep a peacock away. Mine gets on my roof with no problem.

4. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    You NEED to talk to you neighbor!

Tell them you don't want them at your place!

Tell them you will ask them to pay for the plants they destroy! AND clean up their mess!

And if all else fails ...

Tell them they taste like chicken! ;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Oh - well so much for the fence idea. Now we're down to "talk to the neighbors".

6. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Overrun With Chickens

Jan 5, 2012
    The peacock I have wasn't even mine. He just showed up one day and stayed. I tried chasing him off but finally just gave up. He doesn't really cause too many problems for me except sitting on the cars. Honestly I think it helps somewhat with hawks having a bigger bird wandering around.

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    This is definitely true - My ducks use the geese as cover when there are hawks around.

If you don't want the peacocks in your yard, and they're destroying plants/pooing on your porch/etc, talk to the neighbor. If hes a reasonable person, he should understand that it's his responsibility to keep them in check.

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It's your neighbors job/responsibility to contain their peas to their property...

Talk to your neighbor and inform them that you will be invoicing them for all damage and destruction their peas cause, including applicable labor to fix the damage if they continue to let them roam, and will even seek a court ordered remedy if they choose to allow the problem to persist for collection of those fees...

I love peas, but if the owner fails to do their job I have to go with the same advice I have for any destructive pet that is allowed to roam, and that is shoot/trap it or you can attempt to call animal control (unlikely that will have much overall effect) and put an end to it yourself...

To be blunt it's not your job to fortify your property against irresponsible owners...

1 person likes this.
  9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I know you don't want to make a big deal about this with the neighbor's but sometimes neighbor's leave us no choice, unless we are content to live with the situation they impose on us.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by