How to restore Antique Sears and Roebuck Brooder

BeeMaster

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
I am trying to restore my great grandmas chicken brooder. The heating element appears to be cloth. Is there anything I can replace this with?

Attachments

• 1549946661034-325564841.jpg
    1549946661034-325564841.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 131
  • 1549946967050-959285387.jpg
    1549946967050-959285387.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 93
I am trying to restore my great grandmas chicken brooder. The heating element appears to be cloth. Is there anything I can replace this with?
Be careful with that “cloth” and for pity sake don’t breath any dust given off in removing it. Probably asbestos. The cloth itself is probably not the heating element. There was probably a nichrome wire inside of it that probably rusted away much like the heating elements in a cabinet incubator. But that is a best guess. You could always replace it with a 110 light bulb or a heating element from Incubator Warehouse. Probably safer for all concerned. I had an old one from a very old feed store that I rewired for a light bulb. Seems like it was a Brower brand that made a lot of things for Sears. The light bulb was a cheap and easy fix.

George, could I get some new nichrome wire and rewire the heater? Worst comes to shove I will use a heat lamp, but would like to try and get these to work. When I was 9 or so Dad and I replaced the cord/plug to the broder, I plug them in and if I touch the existing heating wire/cloth it is warm/hot, but don't think it will be produce enough heat to keep the chicks warm. I am told the chicks need temps at 95 the first week, and lower it every week by 5.

Last edited:
George, could I get some new nichrome wire and rewire the heater? Worst comes to shove I will use a heat lamp, but would like to try and get these to work. When I was 9 or so Dad and I replaced the cord/plug to the broder, I plug them in and if I tough the exiting heating wire/cloth it is warm, but don't think it will be produce enough heat to keep the chicks warm. I am told the chicks need temps at 95 the first week, and lower it every week by 5.
You can buy the wire on eBay. I buy it for foam cutters. That being said I have no idea if that is what actually heated your brooder. There is no way to replace the asbestos that I know of. Use extreme caution here. Be parinoid about this wire and aesbestos. You can burn down a building with it and aesbestosis killed my father. Did you find any remains of wire?

George I have not looked for an existing wire, I have just removed the cover and plugged it in and toughed the wire/cloth to see if it is warm or not. Yes Aesbestosis kills one reason why I would like to replace the thing, it scares me!

If it was me, and I realize it’s not, I would honestly think very hard about an alternate heat source. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out and what you did.

Apart from the asbestos, these boxes are really not suitable to brooding by today’s understanding of animal welfare and best brooder set ups. I would stay far away from this thing!

Apart from the asbestos, these boxes are really not suitable to brooding by today’s understanding of animal welfare and best brooder set ups. I would stay far away from this thing!
I raised thousands of birds in brooders just like this. Yes there are better systems. But if you want to restore Granny’s antique then that s a different situation entirely and it will successfully raise birds. I love my birds and antique farm goodies. Combining the two are pure heaven to me.

Stephine explain yourself. Other then the possibility of it having asbestos, how are they not suitable? The chicks stay dry, warm, out of the feed and water. Cats can't get in. Droppings fall threw the screen on to the tray and cleaned daily.

Alot better then a cardboard box filled with sawdust like almost everyone else does.

Back
Top Bottom