How to roast raw soybean meal

You can buy raw soy bean meal? If it is feed meal, it's probably been steamed already.

To roast it, I'd just put it into a baking dish and set it in the oven at 350 degrees. Stir it a couple of times. 15-20 minutes should do it, depending upon how thick it is in the pan.

Thanks, the feed mill where I buy grain sells both "toasted" ground soybean and raw ground soybean meal. Around here it is a large farming area and a lot of dairymen feed uncooked soybeans to their cows I believe is the main use. (I think it is since cows are ruminants it doesn't harm them like it does single-stomach animals.)

Last edited:
Quote:
I sure hope they are not feeding raw soybeans to their cows. The trypsin inhibitor still works in the hind gut of the cow. In my 15 years in the feed industry I have never seen raw ground soybean mea. Are you sure you don't have it confused with Extruded Soybeans?

It's possible that raw soybean is being sold to be mixed into a combination feed that is then cooked or processed.

If I had my choice, I'd just buy the toasted rather than the raw. Although, I would prefer steamed. It's going to cost money to heat the soybean meal, so even if the toasted costs a bit more, it is probably still cheaper. Plus it is sure more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom