Soybean v lupins

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
Hoping to have a discussion or seek opinions, knowledge and experience on lupins as a replacement for soybean as a protien source in chicken feed. Specifically laying hens,
From the limited research I have done it seems lupins slightly outperform soybeans. In laying hens. Where up to 40% of the diet can be had without negative effects. 10-20% of the diet seems the more ideal level in the studies I found. Actually increasing egg production and the frequency of extra large eggs.

Some studies seem to have slightly inconsistent results however.

Being that I am in Australia, where the majority of the world's lupins are grown. They are very cheap. I can get a 20kg bag for 20-25 aud. That's about 14 us dollars for a feed that ranges at about 30-35% protein.

Which gets me thinking. Is there an opportunity to make my own soy free feed based off a methionine enriched scratch mix with added lupins?

If I ferment and add X amount of lupins and lucerne chaff with shell grit on the side to a 10-12% protein scratch mix, I, may have a fairly decent soy free feed. Which is something hard to find here. Especially at a 16+% protein content.

It's not just about saving money. But enjoying the hobby, cutting soy, making happy eggs. Not necessarily for any good reason. Something to do and experiment with as much as anything.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

https://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/330_2014-VETMED.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2451943X16300096

Start HERE

That plus a few minutes reading tells me two things.

1) you need to use sweet lupins - the bitter lupins have alkaloids which are problematic in quatntity, and the easiest way to remove them ups your salt content, which you also wasnt to avoid.

2) Lupins are both lower protein than soy (by about 30%) and also much lower in Met than soy as a percent of that protein. So you will need Met supplimentation (as you mentioned above) to hit the typical targets.

3) Lupins look to have more energy than soybeans, though I'd need to find a database that does a direct comparison to know how much more.

Keep in mind that most feeds using soy use soy MEAL - its been dried and had most of the oils extracted, concentrating the protein, reducing water, fat, and total energy. Dried Lupins are missing the water, yes, but not the oils.

The differences are stark enough you can't do a 1:1 substitution or anything close.

Is it doable? In theory, yes it certainly should be.

That said, Australia make what, 3/4 of the world's lupins? Ask yourself why, if they are so abundant, you nation doesn't already make chicken feed with them??? Or ask your local mill. I'm certain there's a good answer.

They are sweet lupins from what I have discovered. There are two primary varieties used. Both are considered sweet types.

They are mainly used up in large scale commercial beef, sheep, pig, poultry and aquaculture.

The local mill I spoke to said they can get 35% protien dehulled rolled lupins or ground meal. But they can only order a minimum of 100 tonnes. Which is too much for their small mill. So t seems it's just a matter of it not having reached the domestic market producers as its gobbled up by big commercial feed manufacturers. This is fairly typical of Australia. Large commercial primary production revolving around huge export markets. Very small domestic demand due to low population.

The only other form I can find in 20kg bags is plain dried lupins or a horse pellet. The latter being much too high in fibre for chickens imo.

I will keep searching.

Back
Top Bottom