How to safely add one EE pullet to 6 month old pullets?

I started out with seven 6 month old hens (Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, buff) and just added three 3 month old easter eggers to our flock. We quarantined, and then kept them in a dog kennel in the coop at night, and a fenced off area in the day in the run for about two weeks. Then I set up a fence outside the coop, added the three new ones to it, and added a chicken per hour and watched. With minimal pecking, and no blood or sores or feathers out, we had success. After they all hung out in the "new run" for a couple hours we put them back in the coop together. This worked for us and now they are all doing well together.
smile.png
Good luck!

Last edited:
I guess it all comes down to how they all react to this one single pullet. It would of been nice if the man would of replaced even one cockerel! He was adamant that they were pullets!
Pullets don't act like cockerels! The two I returned were cockerels. They were fighting and making that rooster sound for the only pullet when I put treats on the floor for them.
I do not want to pick up another young pullet this late in the year. I can already see so far, this young pullet is healthy. I dusted her for mites last week and had her on apple cider vinegar the first week.
I understand the quarantine for 30 days. I just feel that I am adding more stress to this pullet by keeping her alone than the stress she would be under in a crate in my coop and run.
My coop and run are like fort Knox! Nothing can get in, or out!
Thanks too everyone that has commented!
Chickens are tough birds. I just hope it doesn't take them too long to adjust to the new pullet.

UPDATE!

I have found a Lavender Orpington that is roughly the same age as my Easter egger.
I pick her up today.
I will quarantine another few weeks.
I can separate the Orpington and EE in a look but don't touch pen till they get along.
I will then transfer the two new ones to a look but don't touch pen in my coop.

Its always a gamble when you try to introduce new hens to an existing flock.
Most times it works, or so I was told!

FINGERS CROSSED!

Back
Top Bottom