How to Safely mark Ducklings for sex identification

You can find them on ebay, Nationalband... I think you can just do a search online and it would probably come up.

But you're going to want to do it soon, because on the adult or older birds the holes had just healed up.

I think because as babies they grow so fast all it has time to do is heal the edges before expanding with the rest of the foot web...?

Quote:
I have yet to buy any, but be aware that different places have different size bands. It's best to measure all the way around your full-grown duck's leg (add a little for comfort), cut that measurement in half, and that should be about the diameter of the bands you'll need.

(Diameter being the distance from one side to the other on a circle.)

Thanks!

I've been considering marking my ducklings when they get older. I had no idea where to start but thank you for suggesting zip ties! I probably won't try any of the other ways to mark since I'd be too afraid to hurt them.

How do you remove the zip tie without injuring the duckling? I have used zip ties on various projects and it is very difficult to get them off of things. But it is very easy to get them on too tight. Not to mention they are sharp when you trim off the long part. You have to use a sharp scissors and having of room in between to get the blade in there or use a razor blade. And the plastic is tough. It is very easy to slip. And not everyone is going to be smart enough or aware enough to take him off in time. This just sounds like a really really bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom