casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
  • If possible, consult your veterinarian.
  • Do not attempt if you cannot safely and gently carry and restrain your bird.
  • Do not attempt if bird's crop is full of water as aspiration can occur from handling.
  • Do not attempt until you know the difference between the oesophagus and the trachea.
  • Do not do if your bird is molting.

• Choose your mg/kg of fenbendazole, liquid or paste. I do 50mg/kg

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days.

Last edited:
It would be 1 ml three days in row for a bird that weighed 5kg (11 pounds).

Here are some number that I did for someone else:

EE hens - 2.5kg - 0.5ml fenbendazole 10%
Barred Rock pullet - 2.3-2.7kg - 0.46ml to 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%
Barred Rock hen - 3-3.4kg - 0.6ml to 0.68ml to fenbendazole 10%
Cream Legbar Hens - 2-2.7kg - 0.4ml to 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%
Production red hen - 2.9kg - 0.58ml fenbendazole 10%
Russian Orloff Hen - 3kg - 0.6ml fenbendazole 10%
Delaware hen - 2.9kg - 0.58ml fenbendazole 10%
Lavender Orpington hen - 3.6-4.8kg - 0.72ml to 0.96ml fenbendazole 10%
Welsummer hen - 2.7kg - 0.54ml fenbendazole 10%

The above numbers are 20mg/kg. One kg = 2.2 pounds

-Kathy

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the advice and info. I took them off the safeguard after one more evening. I put it in their FF and water as suggested by misslydia. When I switched out to Valbazen, I did the same thing....No more gaping or head shaking!!

Safeguard for Goats, Safeguard for Cattle, they are exactly the same thing, just differeent sized bottles. Both can be used on any bird, mammal or reptile, one just needs to know the proper mg/kg.

Kathy, what is your opinion about the Safeguard paste? What is the dosage size and daily frequency?
The dose and frequency would be the same as the liquid. For example, if you normally give 1ml of the liquid three days in a row, you would do the same with the paste. 1 ml of liquid = 1 ml of paste, they both have 100 mg of medicine in them.

There are 25 1ml doses in a 25 gram tube of paste - $7.95 at Valley Vet
There are 92 1ml doses in a 92 gram tube of paste - $27.99 at Valley Vet
There are 125 1ml doses in Safeguard for Goats (125 ml bottle) - $18.49 at Valley Vet
There are 1000 1ml doses in Safeguard for Cows (1000 ml bottle) - $118.49 at Valley Vet

Liquid is cheaper by the dose, so that's what I normally use. Sometimes I'll have extra paste from worming the horses, so then I'll use the paste so it doesn't go to waste.

-Kathy

Thank you KsKingBee. I really am having struggles putting on paper/(forum) the right wording for all this........I do have Valbazen but started them on safeguard last night after seeing the gaping the way it is......
I was wondering about using the Valbazen at the 10 day follow up. I have over 60 chickens and 4 geese......
Do like @KsKingBee suggested and give for no less than 3 days for gapes.

Back
Top Bottom