1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Hi guys, I have this chicken coop left over from were the bantams were in intill they got there new coop, and The old coop would be perfect for quail and my neighbor just got a dozen quail eggs to hatch so we are going to split it and ill take some and he'll take some. Anyway in the old coop there is alot of chicken poo on the walls and wood. I cleaned it out as best as i can but theres still poop on the walls. so is there a way to dis-infect it? or do i need to?Thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I would think disinfection would be a good idea. What about a scub brush and mild bleach solution? I think that's what I would do.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would also do that.

Spray down the whole this with a bleach solution, let sit so the poop isnt so hard, and scrub. Make sure to rinse good and let dry.

4. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    ok, but the inside is ply wood and OSB board, so if i get it wet its probaly going to get mildewy and fall apart, how can i stop this?

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Open all openings and maybe run a fan out there.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

what about using a pressure washer w/ something like lemonquat or bleach, then put a fan out to dry it quickly?

7. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    How about gutting the interior, disinfecting with bleach water solution, and putting in new board? That way you won't risk passing anything on.

8. farmer macdonald123

farmer macdonald123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    north carolina
    Quote:i think that would be a great idea and make sure it is 100% dry
    mold will grow and make the chickens sick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by