How to serve up crushed oyster shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yankeechick, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Yankeechick

Yankeechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi All,
    I purchased crushed oyster shell for my hens because I heard it is good for layers. How am I supposed to give it to them? Mixed in their feed? In a chick feeder? Like scratch?
    There's not a ton of it so I don't want to waste it. I can't find it around here, so I bought it while on vacation in New Hampshire this summer.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just put it in a hole in a brick outside and they pick at it when ever they want some. Best thing would be to put it in a rabbit hopper so they can get it when they feel like it.

3. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I would say in thier feed, that's what I do, or in a seperate feeder. Either way they will eat it at will, as much as they need. They kinda self regulate. I would not throw it out like scratch. I think that way alot would get wasted.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I personally don't put it in the feed because I have roosters and they don't need it... sometimes they just gobble down food so I figure if it's not mixed in, less chance of them snatching them up on accident.

5. Yankeechick

Jun 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks - all very helpful. I only have 3 hens so I think I will put it in the little chick feeder I used to give the chicks the starter feed in when they were small.

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    check it out, I made these feeders for grit and oyster shell, so they can get what they want when they want:

[​IMG]

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Mud hen- is your feeder the same style? I have bins(gravity feed)that all 3 match. I like yours though. How big of a pipe to feed 40 birds??? Knowing my luck one would decide to roost on the pipe and break it.

8. Yankeechick

Jun 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    Mudhen, that is very cool. I think DH could build it too!
    Hmmm......

9. chickenwrangler

chickenwrangler New Egg

Aug 18, 2007
    Melissa, Texas
    Mudhen, that is very cool. What a great idea.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is a good idea, mudhen. I use one of the small galvanized rabbit feeders hanging on the coop wall. Mine do eat out of it because I see them do it, but it takes awhile before its empty. They don't need to eat that much of it, so it isn't like feed that empties fast. Mine contains a mixture of oyster shell and crushed eggshells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by