How to sex a chick????

Farmer_Fran

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
Ok, I am not new to being around chickens and their care, I am however new to having my own flock! I've been wanting chickens since the dawn of time and my husband decided this was the year to make that dream come true. He got the brooders set up and is building me a coop and everything. He took me chick shopping and let me pick the ones I wanted. Problem is, where we got the chicks do not sex them. What are some characteristics that I should be looking for to determine if they are hens or roosters? All of them are about a month old. I have Brahmas, Plymouth Rock, Australorps and if I'm just being honest, I don't remember what the other breed is I have, but the one looks like a hawk and my husband has named it Xerxes and is trying to train it to be his shoulder companion lol. I would like to be able to sex them as soon as I can, I'm afraid of having more than one rooster!

If you post pics many great peeps on here can help.
Some breeds are harder to tell early on but your Rocks and Australorp should be pretty easy.

Do post pics of the Brahmas and your unknown breed too please.
I will post pictures once my daughter is on break to help me wrangle them lol! Thank you!!

I will post pictures once my daughter is on break to help me wrangle them lol! Thank you!!

I look forward to seeing all the little cuties.

A helpful thing is to have them in natural lighting and not having a window directly behind. The window makes them look like cute silhouettes but way to hard to see.

Plymouth Barred Rocks are easy. Leg color is a very accurate way of sexing them.

Pullets will have dark legs with a dark wash over them.

Cockerels will have light colored legs with little to no wash at all.

Back
Top Bottom