How to sex a duckling?

Sadly no... And being white- you cant pick for colour either. Vent sexing can be done- but it can be difficult if you dont know what to look for or how to do it properly so you dont injure them.

Is there a behavior, gender trait, or anything else to look for, as they grow that would indicate gender? At what age/how many weeks would this happen? I know, I know... Laying eggs would be a tell-tale sign. Lol

You will be able to voice sex them around six weeks of age. Males sound raspy (think Donald Duck) and females have a very loud, distinct QUACK. Also females tend to trill ("whistle") more but you can't go by that.

Of course, at full maturity the boys will develop their drake feather and there won't be any doubt then.

There is a video on Metzer's website on vent sexing. Even if you don't want to try it, it was interesting to learn...

I have 2 runner ducklings (a fawn&white and a black) I vented them at 2 days old, and it looked to be the fawn&white was a girl, and the black was a boy... Now at 4 or 5 weeks old, the black is slightly raspy, and the fawn&white is a big old loud mouth!!! I guess i sexed them right then??

No feed store or TSC will allow you to vent sex the ducklings before buying. Straight run is straight run. If you want a set number of each gender order from Metzers and pay to have them sexed before shipping to you.

Orschlens allowed me to vent sex our two pekins before I bought them. The guy had no problem with me doing it.
hu.gif
So far I know I was right on one of them. Ducky has started to quack at 4 weeks! Haven't heard Quackers do that yet.

Back
Top Bottom