How to sex buttons? Funny quinea story!

This is your only female and she is a Cinnamon Blue Face:

criag2009077.jpg

This is a Cinnamon Blue Face male with a Cinnamon Red Breasted male's rear end behind him:

criag2009078.jpg

Cinnamon Blue Face male only males have blue feathering too notice his blue feathers down his whole front:

criag2009079.jpg

Cinnamon Red Breasted male notice his thin white line for a bib:

criag2009081.jpg

Silver Red Breasted male notice the pink feathering by his vent area and sides:

criag2009075.jpg

Cinnamon Red Breasted male notice his white line bib:

criag2009072.jpg

Looks like you have all males but one unless there are some I didn't see. How many do you have in there and how many egs do you get a day?

No eggs yet hatched christmas day, only 4 buttons hatched out of 6 eggs. I have bob whites and other quail just thought all could been sexed by color and bibs,
sad.png
I do love the little buggers male or female just will need to get more cages so we have no fights, that is assuming they are like other quails when it comes to mates.
hmm.png

Quote:
The white patch on a DF male Blue Face always goes away but stays on the female. I would not consider it a bib however as it is not perfect like a regular bib would be. It is just an irregular shaped patch. Make sense now? Glad you brought that up though!! I haven't worked with the Blue Face in awhile so I am glad you pointed that out since I had forgotten.

kewl! thanks for letting me know! They are my favorite that's why i was curious lol!
hugs.gif

Quote:
The white patch on a DF male Blue Face always goes away but stays on the female. I would not consider it a bib however as it is not perfect like a regular bib would be. It is just an irregular shaped patch. Make sense now? Glad you brought that up though!! I haven't worked with the Blue Face in awhile so I am glad you pointed that out since I had forgotten.

kewl! thanks for letting me know! They are my favorite that's why i was curious lol!
hugs.gif

I had a ton of the little double factor blue faces in my hatch of 15 and only one of my favorites cinnamon darn it

Quote:
She should be laying by now. Maybe she is just a late bloomer or someone is eating her eggs before you see them? I have looked again at your Cinnamon Red Breasted male and think he is actually a regular Red Breasted. The lighting made his head look lighter. If it is black then he is a regular Red Breasted. If brown then Cinnamon Red Breasted. Plus his red feathering is not coming up as high so that makes me think regular Red Breasted too. Yes, you will want to think about separating them soon. You can probably keep her with a male and keep two males together since they grew up together. They should still get along since you won't have a female with them. Good luck!!

Hey PQ,
I got the pics you sent me. My first guesses were right except the Red Breasted. He is a regular Red Breasted not a Cinnamon one. Your hen should be laying any time now. You may want to think about separating them soon. I would put her with your Cinnamon Blue Face male and put the two other boys together. Still keep an eye on the boys though as you may have trouble. Ideally you should get two more girls and have 3 even pairs in their own cages. Good luck!!

Thank you for all the help in sexing the buttons nice to know what there colors are to! We will keep looking for eggs and try to find some more button eggs or just find some buttons here in town! Sad though I really love the cage they are in hope I can find another like it its so cute, looks like a house;)
Also Thank you for the help in egg "detection" maybe wont be fooled by turkey eggs again!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom