How to sex the baby chicks?

you folks are a little over my head! We live on a ranch in north central texas. my 5yr old son wanted a few baby chicks last year so we bought 5 red hens, 5 black hens whith white spots, and 5 solid white ones. a neighbor gave us a rooster. the rooster... well, its about twice the size of the hens, feathers all the way to their feet, and sold black. Its a really nice looking rooster but i just dont know the breed. ( anybody know the breed?) To make a long story short, my son got an old incubator out af the top of the barn, and i helped him get it working. By some pure stroke of luck, my son has hatched 23 chicks in the last two months! So my point is, Im a cotton farmer and cattle raiser and my son?... well.. he's five yrs old. All we know about chickens is how good they taste fried on sundays! There has got to be a way for a 5 yr old chicken breeder to know how to tell a rooster from a hen BEFORE they lay eggs or start cwowin! anyhelpwilldooo!!

Can you post a picture of your rooster? Someone here will probably know what breed it is. As soon as they are big enough you can process them for Sunday dinner :) I'm not sure how your son will feel about that.

Back
Top Bottom