How to ship eggs Priority for HALF the price!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, Jan 1, 2012.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I was on the USPS website earlier & it seems there's a way cheaper way to ship eggs, just thought I'd share the info & see if anyone else noticed this. Most people ship using the flat rate priority shipping boxes, large being $14. Well if you use a box that's not a flat rate one to send priority, it's literatly half the price! Even boxes over 12 inches, it's all about the weight, not size so this would be a better way to go with eggs since you want more space & they don't weigh very much. The price to ship a box priority mail that is for example 20x20x10 that weighs 3.1 pounds, is only $6.80 but a 12x12x5.5 flat rate large box is $14 (almost $15)! You could send so many more eggs for so much less money.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    your are correct. its all about weight i use the 12x12x8 boxes from usps. there free and they bring them to me.

3. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    That's good, I was really thinking it was to good to be true but hopefully more people will save money this way!

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I've been using the 12X12X8 Priority boxes for years. I never use flat rate boxes, I weigh all of mine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by