How to soak feet?

Tomandlu

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2021
We have a chicken with bumble foot -grade 2 on one foot, grade 3 on the other. I've read to soak their feet in Epsom salt water (1 cup/gallon), among other things. My question:. How in the heck do you get a chicken to soak her feet for 20 minutes? Today was day one, I wrapped her in a towel and set her on her back in my lap. She seemed to like that. I tied 1" strips of terry towel all around her feet and between her toes and poured warm salt water on them for 20 minutes. It worked, but we were both pretty soaked afterwards. I've read multiple threads where people have soaked their chickens feet in a bucket and I want to learn how to hold them to do that for tomorrow. TIA.

@Tomandlu In addition to what Wyorp Rock stated, chickens love to squat down in a container of warm water, it relaxes them. Just fill a container up half full of warm water and add the epsom salts and stir until dissolved. Then put the bird in the container and hold her in place and she'll squat down in the warm water. Easy peasy.

BTW: What is grade 2 and grade 3 bumblefoot? Bumblefoot is bumblefoot and requires minor surgery unless there isnt any redness and swelling. If that's the case, minor surgery isnt required, the bumblefoot will go away on its own.

@Tonyroo Fever in a foot? If you're were treating for bumblefoot, warm water draws up the infection.

BTW: What is grade 2 and grade 3 bumblefoot? Bumblefoot is bumblefoot and requires minor surgery unless there isnt any redness and swelling. If that's the case, minor surgery isnt required, the bumblefoot will go away on its own.
1632666072821.png

Thanks everyone! I'm going out to try standing her in a low tray (dishpan) of salt water now. That she'd stay put is not my expectation, but I've not tried this before. Chickens continue to surprise me.

Thanks everyone! I'm going out to try standing her in a low tray (dishpan) of salt water now. That she'd stay put is not my expectation, but I've not tried this before. Chickens continue to surprise me.
First time I did it, I put my Cochin in the bathtub. She fell asleep! As long as I keep my hands on them at all, they'll stay put. I don't even have to try to keep them in, really.

Back
Top Bottom