How to splint adult goat knee

amyburemt

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 7, 2015
I have an adult goat who had a hoof infection. We treated it for a long time and its finally clearing up. The problem is that while she had it, she kept her knee bent. I'm going to splint it so she will put weight on her foot again but I cant straighten it out . Any advice for splinting a goat knee that cant be straightened out?

Honestly, it should fix itself over time once she is completely healed and starts putting pressure on it again. Just because its starting to clear up doesnt mean she still isnt tender and ready to comfortably bear weight on it properly. The infection could have also inflamed and irritated the knee joint. If this is the case, an ace bandage should help alleviate some of the uncomfortable pressure or even help brace the crick knee and encourage joint flexibility. Massages and physical therapy may be beneficial too. A few times a day, physically bend and streach the knee joint back and forth.

The tendons are contracted. It should straighten in time but do some physical therapy several times a day. Just stretch the leg and straighten it as much as you can. This will help. It may take a few weeks to get the leg back to normal. I wouldn't even try to splint it.

Back
Top Bottom