How to "spray" DE?

For using food grade DE as a spray, Wolf Creek Ranch suggests using 1 to 2 cups of DE to 1 gallon of water in a sprayer. You need to make sure that you shake it up often, as the DE will settle to the bottom, if you don't. It's under the heading "Yard, Garden and Lanscape Applications", about half-way down the page.

I've never tried using it as a spray but use a flour sifter to spread it around and also use it as a white wash on roosts and as an ant deterrent. Check out the Food Grade DE page I put together for how and where I use it. There's also a section on where to buy it.

I wouldn't use the stuff from Lowe's as it's for insects, not chickens and it's not food grade.

Hope this helps!

Dawn
Getting DE wet renders it useless....always apply dry and wear a good dust mask if aerating it.

Quote: True, getting DE wet does render it useless, but only while the DE remains wet. Once it dries out it regains its effectiveness. Spraying it can be a very effective way to more evenly cover surface areas in the coop. You can find a couple scientific papers on the effectiveness of spraying vs. dry applications (as well as other treatment options) on red mites here and in the fifth link on this page.

+quote name="Gallo del Cielo" url="/t/42277/how-to-spray-de/30#post_14976197"]True, getting DE wet does render it useless, but only while the DE remains wet.  Once it dries out it regains its effectiveness.  Spraying it can be a very effective way to more evenly cover surface areas in the coop.  You can find a couple scientific papers on the effectiveness of spraying vs. dry applications (as well as other treatment options) on red mites here and in the fifth link on this page.
[/quote]

I did my best to scrutinize the papers linked. First was poorly replicated and did not provide evidence for control when used in a production environment. Second appears to have not involved actual chickens at all.

Application and subsequent drying I agree with although the efficacy of the DE, regardless of form, is poorly supported for the control of mites as applied in first trial. I would like to see a study where DE is part of the dust bath mix, then I bet the DE could be advantageous.

With increased use of cage-free production with commercial flocks in the US, I think provided dust baths are likely to be realized and tested.

Last edited:
+quote name="Gallo del Cielo" url="/t/42277/how-to-spray-de/30#post_14976197"]True, getting DE wet does render it useless, but only while the DE remains wet. Once it dries out it regains its effectiveness. Spraying it can be a very effective way to more evenly cover surface areas in the coop. You can find a couple scientific papers on the effectiveness of spraying vs. dry applications (as well as other treatment options) on red mites here and in the fifth link on this page.

I did my best to scrutinize the papers linked. First was poorly replicated and did not provide evidence for control when used in a production environment. Second appears to have not involved actual chickens at all.

Application and subsequent drying I agree with although the efficacy of the DE, regardless of form, is poorly supported for the control of mites as applied in first trial. I would like to see a study where DE is part of the dust bath mix, then I bet the DE could be advantageous.

With increased use of cage-free production with commercial flocks in the US, I think provided dust baths are likely to be realized and tested.[/QUOTE]

The papers are what they are. If I had reviewed them prior to publication I would have wanted more details. The second paper is an in vitro study about the efficacy of their various formulations and again, shows that you can put the DE in solution and still cause mortality to red mites. That's all I wanted to convey. I always find shortcomings in just about every study I read. Even my own work. I think you're right about the dust baths and it will be interesting to see the results.

Back
Top Bottom