How To Start a Poultry Club and Get Sanctioned Shows

I heartily second this. I've never shown animals but have known those who did. It's their hobby/obsession, and it's what they spend their time and $ on. If you've got a judge with this much experience who's willing, and at least a handful of competitors, I say go for it! As Rachel said, lots of things like this started small, and groundswell to larger events.
I think this a great idea for those who seem passionate about showing. If that is you interest, by all means pursue it. I would be willing to donate my time to help get the project rolling along. I don't believe I would participate in showing. I would like to help anyway I can. i tell you what i will stat doing. i am going to contact my 2 local feed store to see if they are interested in sponsoring an event like this. Maybe they have people who are already looking to do this.
It would be great to do this in the spring and fall/fair time.I am on board Rachel. Peace.

Last edited:
Some fairs have contests for production poultry (both meat and eggs). There's showmanship for the kids, and you can choose to discount the breed type aspect of bird quality if you wanted.

You can also add in an egg contest, which doesn't at all require purebred chickens. That's pretty interesting to watch, especially if the judge talks out how the eggs are graded and points out what he's looking for.

The two summer fairs in our county are fairly small in terms of entries - my daughter frequently is the only person showing her breed. The judging is set up to be (for example) clean legged bantam cock, hen, cockerel, pullet instead of trying to judge by each breed. The divisions are clean legged bantam, clean legged LF, feather legged bantam, feather legged LF. To win one of these classes is pretty challenging. At the later fair, the birds are brought to the judge for each class, and the judge discusses all the birds over the PA before pinning them. This is a nice format for spectators because it's a chance to learn quite a bit about each breed and each bird. It wouldn't work for something on scale of the Ohio National, but for a small show with people just starting out, it could be a great opportunity.

Last edited:
I am in fact trying to figure out how to start a poultry club in our area. We are close to San Antonio, Texas so any suggestions, help, reference, and so on would be greatly appreciated. I would love to have a club and bring a show to our area. We don't have any close and we have quite a few people that show birds for points and fun.

Back
Top Bottom