How to start with fertile eggs?

It has taken a fair bit of toil but we are finally on the chicken road. Of our first incubation of 21 eggs, 18 hatched (86% where 55-60% is normal). We have 36 fertilized eggs ready to go again in three days and these eggs are again stored correctly, all within the timeline and turned each day with our new invention. The turner, as pictured, for storing fertilized eggs before incubation may help.

Pre-Incubator Egg Turner

To ensure that maximum hatchability is maintained, prior to the incubation of eggs, we have designed a simple manual turner to assist in keeping the fertilized eggs in the best condition, until enough eggs are collected. For this situation, using poultry eggs, for a 36 egg incubator, the steps are -
  • Collect 36 fertilised eggs in 7 days and place narrow end down in turner
  • Rotate knob 180° each day for 7 days in a 15°C to 20°C location
  • After 7 days, follow your incubator instructions

Wow! I hope it works well and you get an excellent hatch from these eggs!

Well just candled the eggs. Today was day 7. Most of them were very porous and had the ring of death on them
hit.gif
. 3 of them were not fertile, and 4 are still in the incubator
woot.gif
. The 4 we left in there had some veins in them and little black spot (i assume is the eye) but they weren't moving. We decided to keep them in the incubator to see if they grow. If nothing comes out of these eggs, we'll actually go to a breeder and get a few and try again. I'm not real sure what the ring of death means or the extremely porous eggs. Maybe someone can shine some light on that subject! Thank You.

Porous eggs can be caused by many things. Calcium deficiency, age, vitamin or mineral imbalance etc. Porous eggs can hatch, however they tend to have issues keeping bacteria out, and humidity in. That being said I've hatched nearly every porous egg put into the incubator. Blood rings indicate that at some point, an embryo was growing, then died. The blood drains and forms a ring. It may be a perfect little ring around the expired peep, or it may be half a ring. Either way, it's a blood ring. Here's one of my blood rings from last year:

Wishing you luck on those eggs!

Last edited:
uuhite - Love that design. What temperature to you keep eggs at until you put them in the incubator?

Becci - Thanks for the pic. That's what mine looked like.

I've learned so much since my last batch did so poorly.
Hopefully I can apply all my new knowledge and the advice from all the great people on BYC and get a successful hatch this time around.
D.gif

the first day it got to 109 and then on the 6th day it got to 106 and i only turned them twice instead of 3 times
he.gif
. the rest of the time it was right at 100 on one thermometer and 99.5 on the other one.

Those are fatal temps for early on. Have you figured out why the temp spiked up ? Do you have the incubator in a room that is a constant temp. If you dont tuch the temp control and you have the room temp stable it should stay fairly stable in there. Where do you have the thermometers? The egg turner may raise the temp a degree or so if the motor runs hot. LG are a bit touchy temp wise you need to make shure you have it set up and the turner running and everything going for at least 24 hours with no real fluxtuations befor you set eggs then remmber when you set eggs they will cause the temp in the bator to go down tell they reach the temp in the bator you do NOT need to adjust the temp at this time wait for it to go back up by its self give it at least a good 12 hours to see where it will go .

The first time, I think I rushed into putting the eggs in, the second time, we had a cool day here, so I turned the ac off and opened the window's. it got a little cool in the incubator and I turned it up a smidgen. I won't be doing that again.

Back
Top Bottom