how to start?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kallyandnliv, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kallyandnliv

kallyandnliv New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    We have roosters and chickens all over our yards. We don`t own them, and they run away from us. How could we intice some of them to stay in our yard so we could start our own little brood of chickens from their eggs? They lay eggs everywhere around here, but we would like to keep some for ourselves and watch our little girl learn to care for them. Anyone have some ideas? Thank you![​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Move slowly , talk quitely , Set out treat from them in a certian spot far enough from you for them to feel safe then you can move it closer to you every week . If you have the time and money you might try and open coop with treats left inside. IF they are truley wild chickens chances are you wont ever get to close to them. But if you leave lots of nice places to lay eggs you can just collect the eggs every day and store them for 7-10 till you have enough then hatch them in an incubator. They like crickets , meal worms , scratch , might try some spent grains from a brewery , or fermented feed, as well as tamatoes and some greens. If they are wild think of them more like feral cats. Long term you can get there trust to come close to feed but thats about it they most likely will never be handleable. I would just suggest getting them as friendly as you can but just gather eggs and hatch your own.

3. kallyandnliv

kallyandnliv New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    thank you for the advise! i am going to give it a try. if im sucsessful, i will post updates!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd build a coop, find out where these wild birds roost, snatch them from their roosts, put them into your coop. I'm guessing Hawaii and feral chickens? Else if they belong to someone, they might not be so happy about it.

5. that'd probably work, but you'd have to feed them well and give them LOTS of space, and not let them free range for a few months.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL guess I'd also add, collect said eggs, hatch them, raise the chicks as your own!

If they are real ferals, they will detest being cooped.

7. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    They learn really quickly. Every time you bring them some of those treats, whistle a few notes, the same ones every time. Pretty soon they will start running to you when you whistle. You can call them into a yard that way then herd them into your coop :)

8. they will hate being cooped, but give them lots of space and treats and yummylicious food and they'll get over it. (Maybe)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by