1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to stop a broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snazzyboots, Jul 13, 2012.

1. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i have 2 hens that have been broody for almost 2 months. i gave them eggs to hatch but they killed the babies. now they are sitting on nothing but won't stop brooding. i make them go out in the yard at least once a day but they are very thin and i'm worried about them. they are family to us. plus the one hen that isn't broody has taken to laying eggs in the yard since she can't always get an open nest box. any suggestions? i've read about using a wire cage but that really wouldn't be possible.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well if you can't do a wire floor there are other options. Get a dag crate and put minimal shavings in their and just put the birds in there just don't food and water. I also think I read that a dunk in water helps to break the habit. Never tried any of these but that is what I have read. The main thing is to make the chicken uncomfortable.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Friends of mine have placed bags of frozen peas under their broodies and claim it works well. I have yet to try it.

4. lalachickies

lalachickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Utah
    if the babies are dead then find a way to get your hen of them and throw them away and she won't get on her nest unless she's laying an egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by