How to Stop a Chicken from Laying

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i realize most people can't relate to this, as they want their chickens to lay eggs. But i have a 4 year old D'Anver who has had a chronic problem with laying eggs. She will develop one too big to lay, then struggle and not be able to pass it. So we rush off to the emergency vet to remove it, usually by imploding it and pulling the pieces out. So our vet put her on Depo provera injections to keep her from developing eggs. That's worked well for over a year, but now isn't working so well anymore. We are moving from every six weeks to every four weeks on the shot. She had a shot just two weeks ago, but i just found 3 little eggs in her daytime pen this morning. So she is apparently laying every day now. Thank goodness they are small and she was able to pass them, as those emergency visits are not cheap.

But i am worried about the shots not working. i realize it's a far shot that anyone else has this same problem, but just wondering if there are any suggestions to keep her from laying, short of keeping her in the dark all the time.

My vet had suggested getting her spayed. She doesn't do it herself and referred me to an avian vet in the area. When i called there, the receptionist said it is super high risk and very expensive. The person on the link you provided didn't make it sound so dire. So i wonder if i should look for another avian vet in the area and get a second opinion.

Personally, I am not as attached to my chickens as you,(not that there is anything wrong with loving your pet!) but if this was my dog, I would definately atleast try and get a second opinion and have someone be honest about the chance of dying if she continues as-is vs. the chance of dying on the table or recovery afterward. Maybe call UC-Davis? Veterinary teaching hospitals typically have some of the BEST equipment and knowledge and might offer a better chance.

Back
Top Bottom