1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

how to stop an attacking roaster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emit, Jul 7, 2010.

1. emit

emit In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    Can someone tell me how to get a roast to stop attacking me and anyone else that comes around him. I only have one an 8 hens. I put him by himself yesterday. I would like to keep him but can't trust him. I always have to keep an eye on him. He is a maran cuckoo. I keep him because of the markings. I had 4 total after the hatch. Please help (will try anything) [​IMG]

2. MarkR

MarkR Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Roast him.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    .How to stop an attacking rooster??

... with a machete.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  4. epitidios

epitidios Chirping

Jun 30, 2010
    I have two roosters. One is almost two years old and the other one is a 3-4 months old. The young was attacking me every day till i gave him a slap!!! After this he stopped. I am not sure if this will work for you.

5. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Pick him up every day...carry him around. Try embarassing him infront of the ladies. With your hand, pin him to the ground like a rooster might do to a hen. Generally show him who is the boss. It may take a slap or 2, but never run from him or he has won. You are the ruler of your roost....PERIOD!

6. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Step on him gently, then hold him on the ground until he stops struggling. Mine never attacked me after that. They also seem to mellow with age.

7. crj

crj Songster

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I agree with Jess N Jeff. Pick him up and walk around for a while. Hold him upside down by his feet until he relaxes and then hold him. Definitely do not run from him. It's time you went on the attack just to teach him who it boss Roo! He will learn sooner or later........... sooner is better. A swift kick across the yard may help too. Don't get me wrong, I love animals and I will do anything for them but I will not tolerate an animal dominating me.

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Normally I would suggested a crock-pot but since you like his markings and want to keep him, I would keep him penned and put the girls in with him occasionally to keep the eggs fertile. Then when you get a good cockerel out of him...pull out the crock pot. [​IMG]

9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have to get glasses. I read,"how to stop an attacking toaster"
    I'd just unplug it, but now that seems inaccurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by