1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stop bleeding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cats Critters, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I was trimming a roos toes nails ( his hurt and not walking much so they don't wear down) I cut to much on one and it bleed. . . and bleed, I got it to stop with flour and pressure but it toke some where between an half hour to an hour to stop. There has to be a faster way(s) to stop bleeding what are they?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my dad has this stuff from the vet, he has a macaw and if he nicks him too close trimming wings or toenails he can bleed to death really fast. you might check a pet store and just have some on hand for any emergency that might come up.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    hold it in corn starch for a few seconds

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can buy a small container of stuff at petsmart or other pet stores. It stops the bleeding almost instantly. Its a powder.
    I have used it on my parakeet when the other one bit her claw.
    Works great.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    The product you want to have in your pet emergency kit is "Styptic Powder". The one I have is called "Kwik Stop". You should be able to find it at any pet supply store. It is used for dogs, cats and birds. I have found that it still takes a few minutes to work while applying pressure at the same time. Cotton also helps to stop bleeding, so I usually apply it with cotton and hold it for a few minutes til the bleeding stops.
    The first time I trimmed one of my hens nails, I had the same experience as you. It is quite nerve wracking(sp?). [​IMG]

6. Alot of the qiuck stop type blood products use Silver Nitrate which really stains your skine. The local feed store has a product called wonder dust. This works fairly well, but you need to deligent.

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I was trimming a few of my birds toe nails the other day.. I noticed one starting to bleed. I did not want to come back to house to get styptic pencil so I used snow! It stopped it right away... [​IMG]
    For you lucky duckies that have no such thing as snow guess you could use ice...[​IMG]

8. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I use a styptic pen. I have both powder and sticks - one looks like chalk stick and the other is a wet stick that looks like a bee-sting relief ..thingy [​IMG] I bought them at the drugstore in the shaving section after comparing the ingredients to the stuff sold at PetSmart. Ingredients are the same, and same percentage, but it was 1/4 the price of the pet stuff.
    -Spooky

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Thanks! now I need to go to the pet store or tractor supply and stock up on medical supplies for the chickens ( my mom is going to think I'm crazy, then again she already does [​IMG] )

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I cut my dogs nail too shortand was in a pinch so I used baby powder to get it to slow down , then I dipped her toenail into some lukewarm wax out of a candle that had been burning. Stopped instantly and by the time the little wax plug fell off it was good and dry. Of course please have sense enough not to burn your animal with hot wax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by