how to stop chicken from bopping it head

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3ChickensNADuck, Nov 27, 2013.

1. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Whenever my hens walk they're always bopping their head. Like they're saying yes yes yes, or racing each other or listening to a good song. I know it's natural but like the title of this thread says, how can I stop this? or has anybody tried to stop it? Sometimes even if I pick up a hen and walk with her in my arms, she'll still bop her head.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can stop it by getting something other than chickens.
    They're not really bopping but keeping their head perfectly stable while the body moves.
    It is part of the makeup of a chicken. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be a chicken.
    It's partly due to the way chickens' eyes work, independently with one looking for food and one for predators.

You may enjoy this.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Yeah... that's kind of in the chicken's makeup to bop it's head when it walks. I'm wondering why it's a problem for you?

4. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    It's the same as you swinging your arms as you walk. It's necessary for balance.

5. 3ChickensNADuck

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    It's not a problem, I just thought it'd be a fun experiment on the chickens. Kind of like training you're bird to do tricks. I've read a few experiments on why people believe they do it.
    the most interesting one was where they put the chickens on a treadmill. The chickens stopped bopping there heads. They believe the chicken bops it's head to help it see because when it walls normally and bops it's had, it head stays motionless relative to it's scenery while it's body moves ie why on a treadmill it stopped bopping it's head. But have you ever watched a chicken walk in the dark? Mine tend to walk with there head extended forward not bopping much.

6. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    That just sounds mean. Why would you want to "experiment" on your chickens?

7. 3ChickensNADuck

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    HI

Because i'm a very bitter person and love being cruel to animals... I chain my birds up every night with specially made handcuffs. and pluck feathers out of there left wings.....
    If people are never curious or test there boundaries we will never learn. People experiment all the time on this site with types of food they feed chickens, environment, etc. They just don't use the word experiment, it's not a bad word.please read the definition. Experiments are used to learn, it does not mean harm the bird. But than again, I understand your concern. The chicken is not being poked, dissected, etc. for mine I just let then walk in the dark to there coop instead of carry. If you explain to me why this is cruel,I'll stop...

Second thought, probably not, but good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by