How to stop chickens from squawking?

firsttimefarmgirl

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Hi everyone!
I have three hens that are just over a year old. They have started squawking pretty much all day, I think it may be because they're bored. Only two of them are laying and I am pretty sure that it isn't an egg song. I live in a rural area, and I am concerned about the noise. The partridge rock will just start screaming for no reason. Is there something I can do about this? They have a large run, a large house, plenty of food and water, and lots of logs and branches for them to climb on in their pen. We also let them free range around the yard, and they still will sometimes squawk when they are wandering. Is there anything I can put in their pen to keep them occupied?
Thank you!!!

I worry when mine aren't making noise.

Hens can be just as loud, or louder, than roosters. Some birds are just more talkative than others. Not much you can really do about it unless they are chattering because they are unhappy about something. If they have food, shelter, water, space, and a predator free area, they shouldn't be upset about anything you can fix.

I am having the same problem! NOT THE EGG SONG! This hen raised a brood this spring and came back into laying, normally. Now, a few months later, she won't stop with this loud squawking. She strolls around the whole range (1/2 acre) trumpeting like this: long, long, long, long, long, long, short-louder x 2, then repeat. Between each long vibrato filled long trumpet is a pause. It is not the egg alarm/predator alarm that goes like this: short, short, short, short, short, short, short, medium long louder with a peak, repeat.

Back
Top Bottom