How to stop dog killing chickens

Not a troll, just sick and tired of the repeated bad advice given out by people who can't understand that animals are property easily replaced. Cull the bad and work with the good.

Maybe the all caps was over the top but when I deal with it daily from all sides it gets old to the point that I don't even humor my customers any more.

Thing is, not everyone views their animals as property. Something disposable and easily replaced like a lawn chair. Ive seen numerous posts of yours where it just comes down to "shoot it". Obviously not everyone is so willing to do it for whatever reason. Its just a matter of agreeing to disagree as chances are opinions wont change.

I have a Great Pyrenees that was given to us because she killed chickens. It took two years to retrain her. She is now their guard and protector. That said, my coop and run was built to keep the chickens safe from predators. I used hardware cloth on the coop, the run is a hoop run, using cow panels covered with hardware cloth.

Welded wire is easily torn apart by dogs. We raised our fence another two feet to keep the Great Pyrenees from jumping our 4' chain link fence. She has torn it up in places by grabbing it in her teeth and shaking it.To cover your run with hardware cloth might be very expensive, look into a roll of 2"x4" non climb horse wire.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft

You need to be more specific in what you're talking about.

Hardware cloth IS welded wire. A cattle panel IS welded wire.

I'm not sure what to say about the horse fence you posted - the description says woven but the picture is clearly welded wire.

Deerslayer, you and your buddy did an excellent job. Youth certainly has it's advantages. I'm a senior citizen (grandfather to 10 grandchildren) and love it. I'm sure your grandfather will be able to help you with predator proofing your chickens. And he will enjoy every minute of it.

Deerslayer, you and your buddy did an excellent job.  Youth certainly has it's advantages.  I'm a senior citizen (grandfather to 10 grandchildren) and love it.  I'm sure your grandfather will be able to help you with predator proofing your chickens.  And he will enjoy every minute of it.

Thank you! This spring I will be building another one just like it. I've been building a barn with my dad and will have it finished this weekend. Now my goats will be able to free roam the barn until I get the fence built. Here in Arkansas the ground is frozen where I live at the moment so it may be awhile

If your own dog is causing problems for you, it should be fairly easy to "re-direct" the dog's thoughts towards poultry, and other animals. A shock collar WILL work, but you have to keep the receiver on the dog when Dawg is outside, so that Dawg does differentiate between being "on or off leash". These devices obviously also only work, when Owner is present, and also gives commands to "detox" the "attack". The old timey way of curing a chicken killer with a VIRGIN killer, is to whip the dog vilolently about the nose/face with the dead chick, or hen, whatever. It does work. NOT gonna work, once a repeating pattern of attack has been already successful for the dog.

I don't want ANY outside animals marauding my animals, so a tough perimeter is also required. No-Climb Horse fencing is akin to "woven" field fencing, and is very strong (check wire gauges). It is not welded wire. Designed to have some "give", yet basically be impenetrable. Actually built to provide a sort of "safety net" for the enclosed large/expensive animal, if such animal is attacked, or panicked. I have this around my horse turnout, inside large-diameter sturdy pipe fencing and no dog on earth is going to get through it.

But the real solution remains in reforming the dog?

Watched a dog trainer cure a Lab dog of chasing and wanting to kill chickens. He used the Lie Down command the dog knew and used a leash & muzzle to make certain dog would not move. Took a small chicken (alive) and stroked the dog with the chicken over and over. Had the chicken walk all over dog. After 1/2 hour, dog was becoming desensitized. They did this for 5 days for a 30 minute period. Dog ignored chickens after this. Recommended reinforcing training once a month

I found a good zap from a training collar works wonders, I let my dog go running up to the side if the run and I nailed her from inside the house without yelling or saying anything to indicate I was even there, she was scared to death of chickens for some time after that and wouldn't even go outside if the chickens were visible, she has gotten back to wanting to chase them now but will leave them alone if she is wearing her training collar

I keep my dog inside at night and let her collar charge up. She is fine with the chickens when her collar is on. Just kind of excited. But not a killer

My small JR terrier got a hose in the face whenever he got "the look" in his eye or got close to a chicken. Now he is their guardian. I watched him stop a visiting dog from chasing the chickens by jumping in front of chickens and growling. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself! Thanks to all for their hints. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom