How to stop hens from eating eggs , What are your ideas...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottalovemychickens, Sep 13, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

..... After i see your ideas , ill add them to my original post and lets see what happens . If you can next to your idea put 5 stars if it works really well or 1 star if its so so . Anything in between works also ......

1) Golf Balls ***
    2) Dawn Soap **
    3) Get rid of Hens *****
    4) Fill a hollowed egg with mustard and let them peck it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Get them out before they eat them.***** I have had a couple problems with some cracked ones, so I throw it in the microwave and the chicks get scambled eggs they love them, go figure. [​IMG] I am looking for more idaes too, what do you do with dawn?

3. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i put a little bit in water and mix it up then put a egg or two in the water for a bit then pull them out and let dry , then when they go to eat them again they get a nasty taste and dont do it again

4. Dave from Maine

Dave from Maine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Someone told me to fill a hollowed egg with mustard and let them peck it. It was a temporary solution. I designed a nest box with a sloped floor and the eggs roll behind a baffle where the hens can't reach them. Whatever you do, act fast because if one hen starts eating eggs the rest of the flock will follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by