how to stop my chicken coop from leaking - update with pictures !

Ive got the photos but will have to put then when I am at the computer as I can't work out how to move the photos from upload to this part on my phone sorry .

The shed looked nothing like the one I have now so another not so happy ending I'm stil annoued this happened so quickly I can't wait top have enough for a better coop just going this one can last long enough as this one cost me 115.00 pounds and that for mw wsd a lot ! So any help to keep this going is a big help !
Thsnk you all

101583_2011-12-18_120036.jpg

this is one of thewallsonthe inside its leakingdown wards there are no gaps though that i can see inside or out.

101583_2011-12-18_120021.jpg

this is my biggestworry as it lookslike its coming up throug the floor and thechickenshave decided they like to sleep inthis ( i have stoped them)

101583_2011-12-18_115951.jpg

this is theoutside tomatch the insidepicture above .

101583_2011-12-18_115924.jpg
this is the other cornerto the problemfloor space as you can hopefully see what i was tryingto describe onthe "beams" and the floor

many thanks for all your help now and inthe future its realy helpfull

is that mold already?
you are going to need to raise it more. Cinder blocks maybe. Bleach the insides, air it out, then paint it inside with a sealant... Some one else may know a good brand. Also the outside with barn paint as suggested.

I think water is wicking up through the floor, along with leaking through the walls. The walls appear to me to be your bigger problem. I see several broken pieces of siding, and water will leak through those breaks. Then if I have this right, you have the inside walls too. Both layers are installed horizontal. The joints of the outside lining up with the joints of the inside. That's not good, they should be offset from one to the next, like a brick wall, or like roof shingles. One seam does not line up with the next one above or below, because this makes the sort of problems you are having. The broken pieces of siding may be making this happen, or making it worse, because the line of the breaks is another joint between 2 pieces of wood.

From the pictures it looks like the water is coming from the top down (water wouldn't wick that far up from the bottom up IMHO).

The blue exterior corner trim isn't installed correctly. IMHO the water is leaking between the blue corner trim and your siding. Blue corner trim should be installed on top of your siding not beside it.

I agree.It looks like its comming from your roof.The water is cascading down,but also your siding is wicking it thru those boards as well.You need to tackle it a the corner where the leak is. Repair thee roof there and then get an exterior epoxy sealer on the outside to stop and sop up the water.

thank you all

no not mould ( i am a bad painter and wipe the brush anywhere on the bottom and the floor )

i shall tackle the floor and the walls as stated with the special "paint" and epoxy - i will have to do someshopping around to make sure i get the right stuff.

no no wind as that corner is whre the fence is sorry i did not get that inthe picture

i shall look at he wood and see if i can work out how to replace the damaged ones you have spotted .

i think a diy for dummies is not gonna be enough !!

thank you for all your help its really appreciates
bow.gif

thank you

Hopefully, caulking everywhere you have a crack and then a couple of coats of paint will help with all of this. I would make sure to caulk well at the corners, between the end of the siding boards and the corner trim piece, where they meet, instead of overlapping. I think that's where a lot of the water is seeping in. It will be time consuming, but should make it much better.

At the bottom edge, it looks like the siding is overlapping the edge of your raised floor, to keep out water. What I'm not sure about is where the bottom edge of the corner trim pieces ends. Look there for a crack where water can seep in or better yet, just caulk thoroughly. Maybe someone else can tell if that looks like a problem, too.

You have a bit of roof overhang on the sides, but the picture on the website looks like they didn't design for any overhang on the front and maybe the back walls. That's also why you are having so much rain running down the walls. If remodeling is an option, instead of rebuilding, I wonder if redoing the roof with 2 sheets of plywood would help a lot of these problems, too. That would give you a foot of roof overhang all the way around the coop. It's just something to think about, as an option at some point. For now, caulk and a couple layers of good paint should help you out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom