how to stop my chickens from going next door!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nicokl502, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so i need to know how to stop my chickens form jumping over my fence?? the can only make it over on one side but can never make it back over and it is very had to get them we live by a woods!! right now it's not to big of a deal because no lives in the house next to us and may never it been for sale for 2yr now and looks bad [​IMG], but what if someone does buy and hates chickens or has a dog. how do i stop my little gals from jumping???? i am going to put up a wooden fence on that side but just have to save up the money i should have it up by fall but i want the jumping to stop now!!!

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Clip thier wings, extend height of fence with garden wire fencing

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    by some chicken wire fencing to extend the height of the existing fence

4. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Go get some cheap 3ft chicken wire and some wooden stakes and make your existing fence higher. It will only be temporary, untill you get the wood fence.
    Jack

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Attach some deer fencing to some bamboo poles with zip ties.They usually come in 7 foot tall by 100 foot long rolls.

6. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

clip there wings. There is a page on here that show exactly how. Would post a link but dont really know how.[​IMG]

7. nicokl502

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    thanks guys i will have to try to clip there wings and add some temporary fencing

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    You could add a little section to the top of your current fence like maybe 10 inches, but on an angle tilting in like at a jail. Don't ask me how I know what jail fencing looks like! [​IMG] That way if they may try to fly over, but will see that they can get out. Of course if they get a running start or start from 3 or 4 feet back that won't work. But maybe worth a try.

9. nicokl502

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i was thinking about try to do that do think when i put the wooden fence up it will stop them??????

10. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Clipping their wings is the cheapest and fastest option. The netting over the top of the fence is a good idea also, try posting an ad in your local areas freecycle or craigslist for free netting and see what you can come up with. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by