How to STOP my Female Chicken CROWING???

My vet recommended the no crow collar because it's like a dog collar. That's the way he described it. You can't put it on too tight or of course it's going to kill them. I make sure there's a little room and that they can still eat. It is meant prevent them from getting a good deep breath that's needed in order to Crow. They can still make noise through it but it's not as much. The real benefit I think is in teaching them not to Crow. They don't like it so I put it on instantly if he crows. Leave it on for a bit and then take it off. It is an inducement not to Crow as much if he doesn't want to wear it. I also use a spray bottle with water in it. I squirt him. He's not crowing a lot.

This is Belle. Or 'Belle-End' as we've started calling her 🤦🏼‍♀️
She's female. She occasionally lays an egg. She's got some gender fluidity stuff going on and has decided to grow a massive comb and start crowing (we're well aware this is a thing for chickens that have no rooster - there's another four chickens in the flock and she's the dominant one). She's REALLY loud and does it every day 😭🤦🏼‍♀️
Problem is WE REALLY LIKE OUR NEIGHBOURS and she's crowing at stupid o'clock EVERY MORNING. I really need to fix this, as the whole reason we don't have a rooster was so as to not upset our neighbours 😭 We put them to bed every night in the coop and she STILL does it.
I really don't want to put her in the pot, so can anyone suggest another way to persuade her back to a more female way of life?!
Personally I think that is pretty cool, I have heard stories of a crowing hen but never have seen one, if you could post a video of her crowing that would be pretty awesome.

I see this isn't a recent post. But in case you are still seeking a solution, I thought I might throw in my two cents. She has developed these traits because of the absence of a roo. And because she is dominant hen. So, demote her! Remove her from the flock for a couple weeks. The rest of the flock will assign a new alpha. When you see that there has been a new lead established, reintroduce her. Pen her up, inside the coop yard, with the rest of the flock. Let her learn the new hierarchy. After a week or so of this, try letting her rejoin. Especially if you no longer hear her crowing. It's a chance anyway. I did this once to an alpha hen that was a bit too bullish for my liking. There was a roo with my flock though. But in my case, it worked. But seeing how you don't have a roo, and she has already shown the tendency to really take the job seriously, it may be a little harder to pull off. But if you really like her, it might be worth a try. Good luck

I see this isn't a recent post. But in case you are still seeking a solution, I thought I might throw in my two cents. She has developed these traits because of the absence of a roo. And because she is dominant hen. So, demote her! Remove her from the flock for a couple weeks. The rest of the flock will assign a new alpha. When you see that there has been a new lead established, reintroduce her. Pen her up, inside the coop yard, with the rest of the flock. Let her learn the new hierarchy. After a week or so of this, try letting her rejoin. Especially if you no longer hear her crowing. It's a chance anyway. I did this once to an alpha hen that was a bit too bullish for my liking. There was a roo with my flock though. But in my case, it worked. But seeing how you don't have a roo, and she has already shown the tendency to really take the job seriously, it may be a little harder to pull off. But if you really like her, it might be worth a try. Good luck
I would definitely try this first.👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom