How to STOP my Female Chicken CROWING???

TwiggyEggshells

Chirping
Jul 28, 2022
North-East England
This is Belle. Or 'Belle-End' as we've started calling her 🤦🏼‍♀️
She's female. She occasionally lays an egg. She's got some gender fluidity stuff going on and has decided to grow a massive comb and start crowing (we're well aware this is a thing for chickens that have no rooster - there's another four chickens in the flock and she's the dominant one). She's REALLY loud and does it every day 😭🤦🏼‍♀️
Problem is WE REALLY LIKE OUR NEIGHBOURS and she's crowing at stupid o'clock EVERY MORNING. I really need to fix this, as the whole reason we don't have a rooster was so as to not upset our neighbours 😭 We put them to bed every night in the coop and she STILL does it.
I really don't want to put her in the pot, so can anyone suggest another way to persuade her back to a more female way of life?!

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_093531.jpg
    IMG_20220813_093531.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 33
I definitely couldn't do the first two to her, and the third just isn't an option due to our children 😞 I'm going to try the collars and see how humane they are in reality xx
Not very humane, they work by low-key strangulation. She's got some serious hormonal issues that *might* be from reproduction like a tumor or cancer. The only real options you have are rehoming or culling.

My vet recommended the no crow collar because it's like a dog collar. That's the way he described it. You can't put it on too tight or of course it's going to kill them. I make sure there's a little room and that they can still eat. It is meant prevent them from getting a good deep breath that's needed in order to Crow. They can still make noise through it but it's not as much. The real benefit I think is in teaching them not to Crow. They don't like it so I put it on instantly if he crows. Leave it on for a bit and then take it off. It is an inducement not to Crow as much if he doesn't want to wear it. I also use a spray bottle with water in it. I squirt him. He's not crowing a lot.

As mentioned hormone implants or surgery to remove those confused parts. Otherwise give her away. She's a beautiful chicken.

Not very humane, they work by low-key strangulation. She's got some serious hormonal issues that *might* be from reproduction like a tumor or cancer. The only real options you have are rehoming or culling.
Ok, so that's a no-go too 😞 Thank you though - I would have been devastated to cause her any harm. I'm going to do what I can to minimise the noise by soundproofing the coop to whatever level I can instead xx

Back
Top Bottom