How to STOP my Female Chicken CROWING???

TwiggyEggshells

Chirping
Jul 28, 2022
North-East England
This is Belle. Or 'Belle-End' as we've started calling her 🤦🏼‍♀️
She's female. She occasionally lays an egg. She's got some gender fluidity stuff going on and has decided to grow a massive comb and start crowing (we're well aware this is a thing for chickens that have no rooster - there's another four chickens in the flock and she's the dominant one). She's REALLY loud and does it every day 😭🤦🏼‍♀️
Problem is WE REALLY LIKE OUR NEIGHBOURS and she's crowing at stupid o'clock EVERY MORNING. I really need to fix this, as the whole reason we don't have a rooster was so as to not upset our neighbours 😭 We put them to bed every night in the coop and she STILL does it.
I really don't want to put her in the pot, so can anyone suggest another way to persuade her back to a more female way of life?!

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_093531.jpg
    IMG_20220813_093531.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 33
Short of hormone implants, if you can afford it and have a vet that will do it, and which may or may not work.......nothing will change this scenario.

As mentioned hormone implants or surgery to remove those confused parts. Otherwise give her away. She's a beautiful chicken.

I definitely couldn't do the first two to her, and the third just isn't an option due to our children 😞 I'm going to try the collars and see how humane they are in reality xx
Not very humane, they work by low-key strangulation. She's got some serious hormonal issues that *might* be from reproduction like a tumor or cancer. The only real options you have are rehoming or culling.

Not very humane, they work by low-key strangulation. She's got some serious hormonal issues that *might* be from reproduction like a tumor or cancer. The only real options you have are rehoming or culling.
Ok, so that's a no-go too 😞 Thank you though - I would have been devastated to cause her any harm. I'm going to do what I can to minimise the noise by soundproofing the coop to whatever level I can instead xx

Back
Top Bottom