How to stop pecking?!

She's just mainly my showmanship chicken. She doesnt fit the standards because shes a special chicken as my mom calls her..She has knocked knees but shes the sweetest chicken ever!
lol.png

Quote:
I have 12 hens that like to pick on my one rooster ( he's separated from the girls now, healing ). Where on the bird are you putting the Vicks at??? I sure would like to try your solution rather than have to go the peepers route.

Quote:
After leaving the roo in a pen abutting the girls for over a week I smeared him with Vicks and put him back with the girls. Thank God he still has a couple of tail feathers left but now they have started pecking up the back on both sides. Separated him again into his own pen. Have ordered the peepers you posted so lets see how that works.

When I put the vick's on I would put a small amount into my hand and rub them together. I would then lightly touch the back of each hen. I would put a little bit more on the ones pecking and the one being pecked. In my case my slw was pecked and I put the rub on the feathers surrounding the raw sight. My Orps and SL Polish were the ones pecking so I would make sure I touched their backs, wings, legs, and the very top of their head. I wouldn't put too much on just enough to smell. When the bullies would head over to my SLW they would sniff her and walk away. I also figured that if the picked on one smelled like the bullies then maybe they wouldn't peck on her. It has worked. I never have problems anymore.

Hi ... I sure would like to stop the mean pecking among my hens. They are free range and cooped up at night. My flock was peck free for years. Then it got started - even when they roosted in trees!!! They chase each other around the ranch to peck - and, I tell you, they have plenty of protein with frogs, snakes, mice or whatever strange thing they dig up + scratch.
So I am looking forward to trying the Vicks Vap O Rub and then the Pine Tar. I hate the shrieking and squawking and have been standing by the coop, not letting them in until dark and waiting until they settle down (we have some young BR hens in there). It may be because we don't have a rooster any more. We had a couple of wonderful roosters for years then the next generations were just too mean (to us).
I also found that all their crowing attracted too many varmints. Another thing. The people on this site are so nice! It's amazing. Thank you all for being you.

I think the things you are referring to to put on her beak to stop pecking are called "peepers" and are usually available at pheasant supply places. Not sure if they are commonly used in chickens or not. Since they do interfere with the birds sight, it would probably be better to modify the behavior another way if possible. My husband used to raise pheasants though, and if you have a really determined attack bird, the peepers do work. It is an extreme solution, and best used only when all other methods have been tried and have failed.

Last edited:
Seems pecking is fairly common - but it needs to stop! I have two one year old Orpington hens and a two year old rooster. Since the really cold temperatures/freezing and ice rain, I've keep a heat lamp on in the coop 24/7, and some days I don't let them out in the run. Just feed and water in the coop. Plenty of room, best of layena food, added greens (kale, cabbage, greens) and raw shelled sunflower seeds for protein - but one of my girls is stripping all the feathers off the other.
I think it's a combination of boredom, and "pecking" order. Of course it's my favorite that's getting abused.
I tried Vicks, then went to "peck-no-more" which is just a syrupy form of menthol. Pecking has gotten worse and now I'm seeing blood. I think separation is needed. Do I just separate the offender in the coop /chicken wire, or should I create a visual plywood block, or put her in the garage for awhile(how long?) my rooster is very protective of his girls.
Any recommendations/suggestions appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom