How to stop raccoons from killing everything.

There are a couple of Great Pyrenees that roam around our area. I haven't seen them lately but have gotten them now and then on my game cameras roaming on our property.
09260001 02.jpg
IMAG00021123 06.jpg

I had a fox problem. I put out live traps and let them take the bait for a few days so they would get used to the traps then I set the traps and caught my killer.

or they are big enough to let themselves out of the traps, is the bait disappearing?, I would keep the traps set, also having a solid enclose trap is a good thing too as skunks are gonna be looking for a free meal too soon as other stuff when it's cold isn't readily available
that is very true I will ask my dad about the food to see if its dissapearing.

There are a couple of Great Pyrenees that roam around our area. I haven't seen them lately but have gotten them now and then on my game cameras roaming on our property.
View attachment 1910322 View attachment 1910326
yes our great Pyrenees would get out all the time and be several miles away from the house, they are large and fast however I dont believe they should be an issue, but if you notice large animals or even small animals deceased around your area I would see if you can capture them and call the owners about keeping them on there property.

We inherited an old Pyr X a couple of years ago, we loved her. She was not dependable around the chickens, so sadly we had to keep her confined during the day but we let her free at night. She seemed to stay close to home and was a good guard for the property. We were sad when she died.

So our flocks (30 hens 5 roosters 3 Guineas,4 ducks,2 turkeys,5 bantams) were all wiped out by coons, we only have one guinea one Rooster one hen and one bantam hen left, I know we are planning on getting some Champion placing Wyandotte hens and a rooster, aswell as some others for rebuilding our flocks. (also some Harlequins and more Sebrights) however is there anyway we can keep the coons away, I know my father has captured and killed several coons caught in traps by the coops. Our bantam hen decided to join our goats heard (Mini Silky Fainting Goats) and is doing just fine, but I am just worried everything will get killed again. Is there anything yall can suggest to just keep the predictors away?
Edit: The do free range and there are some pictures of the coop (though they are old but the coop is in the same condition.)
You have to keep a safe coop .You need 1/2 gage hard cloth for wire.Chicken wire is too easy for raccoons to tear into . those posable thumbs are very useful for them to get into chicken wire. you need coop with a roof . either a good 1/2 gage ride on a sturdy word frame or an actual wood coop to keep the animals away from your birds at night and early morning hunting hours . I have a 6ftx6x4ft coop with a pitched roof and a 1/2 gage wire floor .Remember animals will burrow under our coopto get your birds too . over the floor with Washed plaster sand and washed plaster sand only any other sand is bad for your birds to breath .It gives them a soft floor and covers the wire .The sand is at any Home Depot or Lows for 3 bucks a bag . it also makes cleaning the coop a breeze! you rake up the poop that suspends on the top of the sand and you all have eliminated any top odor and flies !!! Good Luck I hope you find this useful.I have raised chickens now for 27 yrs and I learned these tricks from an old chicken farmer who built my coop

Back
Top Bottom