How to store bell peppers?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pnyjmper89, Jun 21, 2010.

1. pnyjmper89

pnyjmper89 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Southern NC
    My bell peppers are about a week away from all being ready for the picking. However, I don't foresee myself consuming 25+ bell peppers before their shelf life expires, and my tomatoes aren't ready yet so no salsa to add them to. What's the best way to store bell peppers so I can use them later on in recipes? I'd like to keep them in a reasonably "fresh" state if at all possible. Should I just dice and freeze or blanch and freeze? Or are there any good recipes that require bell peppers that I could make and then can or store some other way?

2. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    I always dice them up, put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer. Then when frozen, pour them into large ziploc bags and put back in the freezer. This way they are easy to grap a bit for omelets or stirfry's or whatever else you want to add them too, and they are loose and not all stuck to each other.

3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Yep... I just wash, cut/slice and freeze. So good when ya wanna make fajitas or whatever [​IMG]

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a way to freeze peppers and onions that saves me a lot of time (and mess). I dice and saute, in olive oil, a bunch of them at once. Then freeze in small plastic bags. When a recipe calls of sauted onions or peppers, that part is already done. Thanks for reminding me, I have a bag of onions I have to prepare! Good luck! [​IMG]

bajabirdbrain likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by