How to store egg shells to give your chickens

I just toss them on the compost heap/garden (depends on time of year) and if the chickens want to eat them, they will. I don't even usually crush them.

I read that this is a bad idea because it will teach your chickens to eat eggs. I read this eight or nine years after we first got chickens. They'd been eating eggshells for a very long time. They did not break open their own eggs.

I don't think my flock has salmonella or botulism—I prefer my scrambled eggs on the rare side, and like to eat cookie-dough, so I think I would have noticed.

Egg white has some natural antibacterial properties. It is meant to keep bad stuff from getting to the embryo. I assume it can survive a few hours on the counter.

In short, there's no reason I can think of for me to keep a basket of eggshells. When I'm done with them, they go in the "junk bowl" (compostable food matter) and that gets emptied into the garden nearly daily.

I just put the cracked eggs shells on a paper plate for a day or two depending on humidity in my house.
Mid winter they dry in a day. 20180324_134657.jpg .
Then I crush with my fingers and dump into a 5 cup pail. 20180324_133314.jpg . No washing, baking, microwaving or blending to a powder.

As for flies, I hate flies. I have window screens, but if a fly sneaks in when I go in or out, I will pursue it with my fly zapper that looks like a tennis racket. GC

I rinse mine, set them on a towel to air dry and throw them in a plastic dish until I have a couple dozen. The people that buy eggs from me bring their shells back as well. I usually pull out a hand full to use as seed starters. The rest I microwave for 45 seconds and them smash up and add to the oyster shell buck they have in the coop.

You don't HAVE to bake them, I've heard some people boil and others don't do either. The high temp from baking or boiling is done to try to kill any possible bacteria, or at least that's what I've been told.

I haven't saved shells in a while but if I were to again, I'd probably just rinse 'em out, let them dry and crush them.

Back
Top Bottom