How to Successfully Hatch Duck Eggs?

Cluck0FF

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
Morning everyone,
I've only ever hatched chicken eggs in the past, I've done plenty of research and would appreciate comments on my understanding. 🙏🙂

1. Upright Auto Turner vs Horizontal Manual
Yz-24-Hhd-Small-Poultry-Automatic-24-Eggs-Incubator.jpg

That's my incubator, forced air auto turning upright cradles. From research I'll run at 37.5'c and I might take out the trays and lay the Indian runner duck eggs flat inside of the incubator base and hand turn every 8 hours by hand.

2. Humidity
I've read its wise to maintain humidity to lock down between 55% and 65%. A video I watched by a homestead guy with good knowledge suggested laying the eggs in some damped bedding (sprayed wood shavings) in a tub inside of the incubator to maintain better humidity and simulate mother duck.
Screenshot_20200525_063544.jpg

3. Spraying with water?
I've also read I should spray the eggs once per day with water when I open the incubator to turn the eggs. I'm not sure if this is needed but several people do mention increased hatch rates.

I think that's everything, all comments, advice, are very welcome!

👍

I have to say, I get better than 80% hatch rate on my duck eggs, and I do just what I do for chicken eggs, except a week or so longer.

But if you are new to hatching altogether, I recommend the hatching instructions at Metzer Hatchery:

https://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm

They want you to succeed, and you can't go far wrong with these instructions.

BTW, yes, the broody ducks do come back from bathing and resume setting, soaking wet. They get about 80% hatch rate, too. So I can't say that spraying the eggs with water would hurt.

I think the most important part is making sure the eggs stay in line with the recommended loss of moisture over the hatching period, and you won't know that unless you candle them. If you keep the humidity too high, they may be able to pip but the duckling will get so large in the egg that it won't be able to turn and chip its way out. You will be able to see this with candling, too. If that duckling fills the shell with no air space left you will have to help it hatch, which is nerve-wracking and time-consuming. I recommend avoiding that stress, for you and for them.

I have to say, I get better than 80% hatch rate on my duck eggs, and I do just what I do for chicken eggs, except a week or so longer.

But if you are new to hatching altogether, I recommend the hatching instructions at Metzer Hatchery:

This is very good advice.

Thanks unfortunately that link doesn't work, 😔

Back
Top Bottom