how to tame a rooster

Pics

incubatingisfun

Songster
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
can you tame an adult rooster cause mine is very mean and always wants to fight me when i go to get the eggs.new to chickens so i dont know if this is a stooped question to ask.

Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at and probably called all sorts of names, maybe even start a fight or two... But the method that's always worked for me: Catch that nasty ol' roo, hold him by his feet, stroll over to the water tank and dunk his head in it up to his shoulders, then send him sailing through the air. He shouldn't attack you again. My great grandpa taught me that as a little kid, it's never failed me yet.

P.S. It's not a stupid question at all.

Last edited:
There are those who will tell you they can't be tamed but I believe they can be. However you must wear protective clothing and remember a chicken explores with it's beak so keep the beak away from your eyes. I suggest you wear levi or carhart pants that won't tear easily, a pair of good gloves, and googles with head covering. remember a large rooster can do real damage quickly so don't be foolish. As you said the rooster wants to fight and show dominance, so with your gear on catch him and tuck him and his wings under one arm. With the free hand reach over and place your finger(gloved) on his beak and firmly press his head down toward the ground. Hold his head in that position for about twenty seconds, if he raises his head repeat the proccess and hold for another twenty seconds. Continue this until he no longer raises his head. The following day he may stear clear of you, if not repeat the proccess until he learns you are the dominant one. Trust me he will learn but do not be mean to him in the proccess no matter how frustrated you get. Promise??? I have roosters that are very large and I have used this method several times. Good luck. Paraclete 2

Quote:
gig.gif
gig.gif
Yes, wear protective clothing and goggles. Then get his attn! [water trough - I
ep.gif
like it ]. 2nd chance - hold his head down
roll.png
roll.png
, that didn't work? 3 strikes, you're out! Chicken and dumplings!
smack.gif
[see cook book]

Yikes A-1 Sure am glad I'm not one of your roosters, LOL Lighten up pal, just having a little fun with ya. I thought the poster desired to tame the poor ole man not become a home grown terrorist. Have a great evening.

Back
Top Bottom