how to tame a rooster

Here is something I read a while back and it's kinda' along the same line of method as Paraclete2's advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior
My
first rooster started to get a little "cocky" but I used this method and it worked well. I also quit feeding him "rooster booster" because I was told that was to buff up fighting cocks and it makes them meaner? I don't know if that's true but I'm up to 8 roosters now and they have their own pens and harem of girls but every time I go in, they don't bother me at all because ever since they were born I would chase them down (sometimes I would use a fishing net) and hold on to them and pet them for a while! I definitely think they need to know that the human is the alpha rooster! (But I think that can be accomplished without hurting him).

What worked the best for me, after trying to hold my nasty roo, etc...don't let him have treats.

A dominant rooster will show his ladies the treats, but won't let subordinate roos have any. So that's what I did - I fed the ladies their corn, and whenever he would come over to have some, I would "peck" him with a stick - never hard, but a long skinny stick simulates a quick peck quite nicely. That worked the best, because there was no "wiggle room". It was a definite message, and it kept him away from me.

I did end up rehoming mine, because I don't want a rooster that won't come near me, all my other boys are sweet.

I'm of the belief that a nasty rooster is always going to be nasty. You may be able to modify his behavior somewhat, especially a young one, but you will always have to watch your back and be careful of other people, especially kids, being around him. Watching my back is not something I want to have to worry about every time I'm in the barn so I only keep roo's that are well behaved. They don't have to act like a pet but neither will I have them attacking me.

I am a newbie so dont listen to me... plus this is sort of differnt then your problem. I wanted a few hens so I hatched a bunch of RIR eggs. Of coarse there not all girls and more then half are roosters...but that is OK I got my 4 girls Actually from day one I knew which ones were roosters by how they acted of coarse I was not sure but I suspected who, and these were my first ones ever. After a week of those little guys coming right after my hand I began to think when they grow up there gonna be nasty, so what I started doing was when one went at me and grabbed his beak, just held it for a second or two. to show him if you mess with the boss you loose. There about 6 weeks old now and once in a while one of them thinks ok I am bigger now I can take him, time to test the boss... well they get the same result..they loose, I grab his beak and hold it for a few seconds if he still seems like he didnt have enough I grab it again. I have to say these RIR roosters will prob be ok.... some of them are nice and dont mind if you pick them up or hold them. I dont think I will keep any just because I dont want any more chicks but if one is a good boy he may get to stay.

Last edited:
Hi there.
been a while since i last posted.
I have had hens and roo's for about 2 1/2 years now and still haven't encountered a "mean" roo, but my fav roo DOES have fits of some aggression at times. i have figured out that there seems to ba a reason whenever he does. If i am late opening the coop in the morning he wants to come after me and peck my feet. If i am late feeding them or their water is low, i can also exppect the same thing. If i try to hold him in front of the others, he again, acts agressive. Now, this fella, (named acme due to his very small size and comical antics), is i think an old english and very small with a BIG attitude and the cutest little crow. He was hand raised and was given to me by a neighbor. he was very sweet at first, but soon after joining the flock he became alpha and thats when he started showing "agression" if you can call it that. he has never tried to spur me, and it is only when i challenge him with agression, does he become more agressive. I have since stopped using agression towards him as that only seemed to exacerbate the situation. When he is away from the flock, he rides on my shoulder, takes treats from my fingers and is still pretty sweet. When he is around the flock, not so much, but he has never tried to harm me. Over the last year i have gotten a ft job and don't have near the time to spend with them as i did when i first started my venture. However, i still have a happy flock and spend as much time with them as i can. i ALWAYS see them twice a day for at least 10 minutes and try to spend time with them at night in the coop. Altho there were quite a few who doubted i would have birds very long after i first joined the group, i have to say that i plan to keep a flock the rest of my life. i LOVE fresh eggs, i ADORE the new chicks and the process of watching moms bring up their babies, and i simply ENJOY the experience of watching them as a group WAY too much to ever not want them to be a part of my life. As for a "MEAN" roo, i simply haven't had one yet and well, i hope i get lucky enough to don't.

I'm going to offer a whole different approach to taming a rooster than what's been posted. Chickens, like all animals "think." I use that to my advantage. Whether it was taming my rooster or my hens so I can do health checks on all of them. Get yourself a dog training "clicker" and some live meal worms. Earth worms work just as well. Start with your most tame hen. Click the clicker and drop the worm where she can get it. She will start to cluck and brag about getting the special treat. Keep this up until she comes running when she hears the click. Then move on and click and treat 2 hens (the first and the next one who comes close). Trust me. All the others will be watching (especially the rooster) and will start to associate the click with the treat. Save your rooster for last even if he comes running to you upon hearing the click/treat. When all the hens come dashing to you click and treat them well ("jack pot") then put them away in the coop and shut the door. This will prevent your rooster from feeling like he needs to protect his ladies (which is a perfectly normal part of his genetics). Click and toss him several worms. To begin, the treat toss may need to be at a distance. Repeat this 3 times then let the hens out and leave. The next week or so, do this every time you go to the pen/coop; click and treat the hens, put them away and work with the rooster. In no time at all, using operant conditioning, you'll have your rooster eating worms out of your hand when he hears the click. Slowly wean them off worms every time, but keep using the clicker with random "jack pots" of worms to who ever gets to you first. It will be the rooster in no time. Basically you are teaching him to learn to earn his reward for being a gentleman. Whatever you do, DON'T kick at him with your feet and legs. This stimulates his adrenaline rush and he will perceive you as a big rooster who is after his gals. Taming a rooster to be friendly is much more fun than using harsh techniques which only makes him frightened of you instead of part of your flock. Fear in roosters, like dogs, usually manifests itself as aggression. Roosters are showy, flashy fun additions to any flock who will alert you to a fox, a raccoon, a hawk or a stray dog, but he need not be your enemy. Outwit him instead of terrifying him and both he and your hens will be more fun to have around.

hi how to tame or pick up him is wait till night then you pick him up we have a roaster and he is a mean and a bully because attacks my family,child mining children but him does like me what's you chicken called and what does look like?
D.gif

My rooster is very protective over his coop and hens. Very often he attacks me if he senses any fear. My rooster isn't really mean but he can be. I hold him and spend time with him once and a while. If he does try to attack me, I run towards him and ram into him not to hurt him but to tell him, "I'm the boss!" I do this over and over until he knows he is beaten.

Hope this helps!
wee.gif

I have a flock of 10 birds: 3 Gold Campines (2 hens, and my Rooster Nicodemus) plus a mixed variety of 7 other hens: 2 Leghorns, 3 Wyandottes , and one 2 Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom