How to tame chickens?

My hens are very tame. When they see me they all begin to run up to me in search of being held or simply being talked to. However only my hens that I have had for a little over a year do this. The hens I got a few weeks ago are more shy, but they are making rapid progress to trusting me. I would suggest that you are persistent with feeding them treats and be in their presence at least 15 minutes a day. Also I let my hens free range the third day I had them. At night I will just guide them into the coop and all is well. Also the interaction they get with my dogs and cat help boost their self confidence. They also see how gentle I am with my other hens so I believe they are beginning to trust me quite well. So give them as much attention as possible and i can almost promise positive results.

One of my chickens Mayzie was tamed as a chick so she is fine. But we got a new chicken Skyla and she was not a chicken but a younger hen and she is tame. What we did was catch her (she would run and fly away) and fed her and slowly she just gets used to the idea of being held and now she waits by our door to be feed and held. Hope this helped :)

Lots of treats and handling.

try spending lots of time doing things with them, hand feeding them, and even handling them. it will be harder because they are older but not impossible.

Chickens are very socialize among themselves, if you have a large brood. Taming comes easy as the skittish one usually will follow the brave one. Just watch when you give them some new treats and introduce them something new you notice one will go first and the rest will follow suit. Point is give them time and don't force yourself on them. They will learn by watching and pretty soon close enough for you to pick them up and give them a great big kiss.

Last edited:
We got a hen that was everything but tame... what I do is every day catch her and hold her for a couple minutes, and feed her chicken scratch. I have another hen that is tame, so when she approaches me and eats from my hand so does the other. When you move around the pen, make subtle moves so you don't scare her away. My chicken has gotten a little used to me, but she still freaks out when I am around.
D.gif
but remember, she grew up in a farm with hundreds of chickens around her and got really scared of humans fast, so she is different. if your chicken grew up in a good environment and you do this every day, she might become tame. Good luck!

From the day I got mine as day old chicks, I made a point to put my hand in the brooder. I picked each one up every day once they were comfortable with me. By the time they moved to the coop they would come running when they saw me. They are now 1 year old and run to the fence when I pull in the drive from work. They are friendly to visitors too. Every night at bedtime I give a little hug to each one before they roost.
I can pat my knee and on command they jump on my lap. I have 2 that jump on my shoulder and walk around with me. Spend time with them and they will act like puppies with wings!!
I just adopted 4 today that are about 4 months old... this may be harder.. we'll see!

I agree with everyone else here; food and patience! I am working on taming my new chicks and some are liking the idea more than others but they'll come around. I also would say when you pick up a chicken to hold it-when you release it make sure it's in a calm state. No fluttering frenzy when you put them down, you know? I've been working on that with the little chicks and they are getting the idea, slowly but surely. Good luck to you
frow.gif

I just got my chickens to come running to me when they see me. I fed them a lot of treats and spent a lot of time with them. They come running when I walk out the door but none of them let me pick them up or pet them. Any ideas?:p

We just got an adult chicken and I tamed it by whistling whenever It was feeding time and it has to get used to its surrounded and if that doesn't work try picking him up and petting him or just wait 3 weeks or less and he will be used to you

Back
Top Bottom