How to teach a young emu to stop pecking so HARD?!?

The older one does every chance he gets, we have to make sure his little head is not in the door when we close it.

Ahhh, that's so cool. That reminds me... my girlies are only 13 weeks old, and are very prone to little dancey fits of excitement... I was wondering, do they grow out of that? Because I would be soooo worried about letting a full grown emu into the house when it could start one of those spazzy dances. LOL.

Not that I'm complaining, I love their dances!
big_smile.png

My boys still spazzy dance every morning! El is only allowed in for a few minutes he is an extremely calm emu, Ed on the other hand is nuts and would never be allowed in lol!

They should be okay, Haida. I hardly ever see them spazzydance except at dawn or when running. I think it is stretching and a bit of mating ritual. I don't think they're silly enough to do it inside.

Wow!! I sure would like to catch a wild emu spazzy dancing on camera. Only ever seen one wild bird do it.

se

They should be okay, Haida. I hardly ever see them spazzydance except at dawn or when running. I think it is stretching and a bit of mating ritual. I don't think they're silly enough to do it inside.

Wow!! I sure would like to catch a wild emu spazzy dancing on camera. Only ever seen one wild bird do it.

se

I am becoming slowly aware of their morning habits. They're just like people... first they have to get up and streeeetch (and they make the cutest little squeak when they do) then they get some water, then they look around and realize it's a great day to be an emu and they begin flipping out. Though they don't roll on their backs and kick as much as they used to, which is a shame, because I thought that was the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Now they only do it when we're playing in their water on a hot day.
big_smile.png
I never thought emus could be so awesome.

You would be the right person to ask... another morning thing I've noticed... what does it mean when an emu stands up on tip-toe, stretches her neck up as tall as she can, tucks her beak into her neck and bumps me? Usually she does it when I'm bent over or facing away from her (and she'll bump my side or shoulder), but as soon as I look at her and stand up she runs away, squealing. Is she trying to challenge me or test her boundaries or something?

Really not sure, Haida. I do think, though, that pet birds sort of 'translate' natural behaviour into pet-bird behaviour -- a wild bird will never bump you.

The first bit -- tippy toes and nech-stretch -- I have always thought of as a form of stretching. I think the bumping might be territorial. In the wild, every bird is engaged every second with who is where on the totem pole. Sassybird will do her little-rush-threat thing for ten minutes at a time.

SE

Back
Top Bottom